This is a Vintage piece of Railroad History made by The CT HAM MFG Co. The double wire lantern is marked No.
The PATENTED Date is DEC. The Brass burner and drop out font are is in good working condition, some repair work on the bottom of font. Hard to see when in the lantern.
The frame has a lite clear coat and initials stamped in the lid. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Erie system map, circa 1884. 2,316 miles (3,727 kilometers).The Erie Railroad reporting mark. That operated in the northeastern United States. Originally connecting New York City. More specifically Jersey City, New Jersey.
Where Erie's former terminal, long demolished, used to stand? It expanded west to Chicago with its 1941 merger with the former Atlantic and Great Western Railroad. Also known as the New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio Railroad.
Its mainline route proved influential in the development and economic growth of the Southern Tier. Including cities such as Binghamton.The Erie Railroad repair shops were located in Hornell, and were Hornell's largest employer. Hornell was also where Erie's main line split into two routes, one north to Buffalo.
And the other west to Cleveland. On October 17, 1960, the Erie merged with the former rival Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad. To form the Erie Lackawanna Railroad. The Hornell repair shops were closed, and repair operations moved to the Lackawanna's Scranton.Facility; this had a devastating effect on Hornell from which it has never recovered. The repair shops have subsequently been used, intermittently, for the assembly of railroad/transit equipment. Most of the former Erie line between Hornell and Binghamton was destroyed in 1972 by the floods of Hurricane Agnes.
What was left of the Erie Lackawanna became part of Conrail. In 1983, Erie remnants became part of New Jersey Transit rail operations.
Today, most of the surviving Erie Railroad routes are operated by the Norfolk Southern Railway. New York and Erie Rail Road: 1832? New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroad: 1878?
The New York and Erie Rail Road was chartered April 24, 1832 by Governor of New York, Enos T. To connect the Hudson River. North of New York City.On February 16, 1841 the railroad was authorized to cross into the northeast corner of Pennsylvania. On the west side of the Delaware River. Construction began in 1836, and it opened from Piermont to Goshen. After some financial problems, construction resumed in August 1846, and the next section, to Port Jervis.
Opened on January 7, 1848. Further extensions opened to Binghamton. January 1, 1849, and the full length to Dunkirk May 19, 1851. The line was built as.This was believed to be a superior technology to standard gauge, providing more stability. In 1848 the railroad built the Starrucca Viaduct. A stone railroad bridge over Starrucca Creek.
Which has survived and is still in use today. The viaduct is 1,040 feet (317 m) long, 100 feet (30.5 m) high and 25 feet (7.6 m) wide at the top. It is the oldest stone rail bridge in Pennsylvania.
The Erie's charter was amended April 8, 1845 to allow the building of the Newburgh Branch. Running from the main line near Harriman.
Also on the Hudson River. The branch opened January 8, 1850. It was later used as a connection to the New York and New England Railroad. Operation across the river to Beacon, New York.The Paterson and Ramapo Railroad. Opened in 1848, providing a connection between the Erie at the village of Suffern. And Jersey City, across the Hudson River.
Through ticketing began in 1851, with a required change of cars at Ramapo due to the gauge break. In 1852 the Erie leased the two companies along with the Paterson and Hudson River Railroad. And Erie trains begin operating to the New Jersey Rail Road's. Terminal on November 1853 after a third rail.
In 1852 the Buffalo and Rochester Railroad. Part of the New York Central Railroad. System, completed a new alignment between Buffalo.
The alignment from Buffalo to Attica. A reorganization of the Attica and Hornellsville Railroad.
To the Erie's wide gauge. The extension from Attica southeast to Hornellsville.
Opened on November 17, 1852, giving the Erie access to Buffalo, a better terminal than Dunkirk. The Erie began operating the Chemung Railroad. In 1850; this provided a branch from Horseheads.The Canandaigua and Elmira Railroad. Opened in 1851 as a northern extension from Watkins to Canandaigua. And was operated by the Erie until 1853. At this point, the Erie subleased the Chemung Railroad to the Canandaigua and Elmira. In 1857 and was reorganized in 1859 as the Elmira, Canandaigua and Niagara Falls Railroad. At which time the Erie leased it again. The Chemung Railroad reverted to the Erie in 1858 during the bankruptcy. The Canandaigua and Niagara Falls Railroad.
Continued this line beyond Canandaigua to North Tonawanda. Over the Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad. And the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge.
This was leased by the Canandaigua and Elmira from its opening in 1853 to 1858, when it went bankrupt. Was reorganized as the Niagara Bridge and Canandaigua Railroad. And was leased by New York Central Railroad. The NYC converted it to standard gauge.
And blocked the Erie from it. The Erie pushed southward into the coal fields of Elk County, Pennsylvania. To acquire a source of fuel for its locomotives. This action began with the February 26, 1859 merger of two earlier roads to form the Buffalo, Bradford and Pittsburgh Railroad Company. The new organization was sponsored by the New York and Erie Railroad Company, later known as the Erie.
Ran for 25.97 miles through Bradford, Pennsylvania. After connecting with the primary line of the Erie at Carrollton, New York.
The line came to a point known as Gilesville, the site of a bituminous. Mine, by January 1, 1866. In August 1859, the company went into receivership. Due to the large costs of building, and on June 25, 1861 it was reorganized as the Erie Railway. This was the first bankruptcy.
Of a major trunk line in the U. Formerly Erie Railroad tracks pass through Nutley, New Jersey.Track on left is out of service. In 1863, the Erie leased the Buffalo, New York and Erie Railroad. And its subsidiary the Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad. Jointly operating it with the Pennsylvania Railroad. The BNY&E had taken over the Buffalo and New York City Railroad.
In 1857 due to the Erie's bankruptcy, and the BNY&E used it west of Attica. From its southeast end at Corning.
The R&GV split from the main line at Avon. A joint through line was created between Philadelphia.
At this time, the Northern Central leased the Elmira and Williamsport Railroad. Forming the part of the line from Elmira. After disputes due to charges of the Erie using its own line via Hornellsville.
(the B&NYC) too much, and problems with the gauge break. This contract was cancelled in 1866. The Elmira, Jefferson and Canandaigua Railroad. Was transferred to the Northern Central, and a third rail. Was built to allow the Northern Central's.Trains to operate over it. To restore access to the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge. The Erie got the Suspension Bridge and Erie Junction Railroad. The line opened in 1871, running from eastern Buffalo. And then alongside the New York Central Railroad. S Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad. Chartered 1872 and opened 1874, provided a branch to the International Bridge. And the Lockport and Buffalo Railway. Chartered 1871 and opened 1879, provided a branch to Lockport. Railway switch in Nutley, New Jersey.
Of the 1860s, four well-known financiers struggled for control of the company; Cornelius Vanderbilt. Gould ultimately triumphed in this struggle, but was forced to relinquish control in 1872? 73, due to unfavourable public opinion following his involvement in the 1869 gold-rigging scandal.
In 1869, the railroad moved its main shops facilities from Dunkirk to Buffalo. Rather than demolishing the shops in Dunkirk, the facility was leased to Horatio G. The former chief engineer of the NY&E who was at the controls of the first train into Dunkirk in 1851. Horatio Brooks used the facilities to begin Brooks Locomotive Works.
Which remained in independent business until 1901 when it was merged with seven other locomotive manufacturing firms to create ALCO. ALCO continued new locomotive production at this facility until 1934, then closed the plant completely in 1962. Which traveled between New York-Chicago.The New York, Lake Erie, and Western Coal and Railroad Company pushed the line south to Johnsonburg, Pennsylvania. In 1881 - 1882, a distance of 29.68 miles (47.77 km). This section encompassed the once significant Kinzua Bridge.
In 1883 the Erie expanded west beyond New York State when it leased the New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio Railroad. Which ran westward from Salamanca. Eventually, the Erie would reach as far west as Chicago.
In 1886, it was reported that the Erie and the Reading Railroad shared ferry services between their two Jersey City. Terminals, the larger being Pavonia Terminal.
For 11 round trips on weekdays and Saturdays, and four round trips on Sunday. In 1889, it opened a new bridge across the Hackensack River. Improving service to its terminals.By 1893, the New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroad went into bankruptcy reorganization again and emerged in 1895 as the Erie Railroad. In 1897, trackage rights were obtained by the Erie over the Pennsylvania Railroad. From Johnsonburg to Brockway, Pennsylvania. The distance was 27.76 miles.
On May 1, 1907 the Erie obtained new trackage rights over the Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburgh Railway. North of Johnsonburg to Eleanora Junction (later called Cramer) in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania. This covered a distance of 50.67 miles. Underwood into the Erie Railroad in 1910. During the eastern railroad strike of 1913 Underwood agreed to accept any ruling made by mediators under the Newlands Reclamation Act.One of the demands made by Erie employees was a 20% increase in wages. Erie management had refused a wage increase but compromised by asking employees to wait until January 1915 for any advance. Union leaders agreed to make this an issue which Erie management would settle with its own men. Lee, president of the brotherhood of railroad trainmen, asserted that the only way to deal with the Erie is through J. Underwood responded from his home in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
In mid-1920s the successful Van Sweringen brothers. Gained control of the Erie, improving operations (such as standardizing the railroad's locomotives and rolling stock) and bottom-line earnings. Who at the time owned several other railroads?
Died at an early age but had they lived the shape of railroads in the east would likely look very different today. An Alco RS3 with Erie Railroad markings at Hoboken terminal, september 3, 1965.
Despite the revages of the Great Depression. The Erie managed to hold its own until it entered bankruptcy on January 18, 1938.The reorganization paid off, as the Erie managed to pay dividends to its shareholders after the dust had settled. In 1938, the Erie Railroad was involved in the famous U. The Erie doctrine, which governs the application of state law in federal diversity cases, is still taught in American law schools.
On September 15, 1948, the Cleveland Union Terminal Company allowed the Erie to use the Union Terminal adjacent to Terminal Tower. In lieu of its old station.Steam last operated on the Erie on March 17, 1954, when the fires were dropped on K-1 class Pacific. 2530, used on a commuter run between Jersey City. And Spring Valley, New York. The Erie prospered throughout the mid-1950s, but then began an irreversible decline. The company's 1957 income was half of that in 1956; by 1958 and 1959, the Erie posted deficits. The business recession that occurred in the 1950s led the Erie to explore the idea of doing business with the nearby Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. Between 1956 and 1957, the Erie shifted its passenger trains from its former Jersey City terminal to the DL&W's newer one in Hoboken. Also, the DL&W's main line between Binghamton and Elmira was abandoned in favor of the Erie's parallel main line in 1958. These successful business consolidations led to merger talks which, at first, also included the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. ; on October 17, 1960, the two railroads merged to create the Erie Lackawanna Railroad. Year-end mileage operated, including C&E but not NYS&W/WB&E: 2451 route-miles, 6013 track-miles in 1925; 2320 route-miles, 5395 track-miles in 1956.
NJ&NY adds 46 route-miles in 1925, 39 in 1956. Erie Railroad passengers at Rutherford station. One of the Erie's electric commuter trains on its Rochester Branch, ca. The Erie Railroad operated a number of named passenger trains, although none were as well known or successful as others like the Pennsylvania Railroad. Or New York Central Railroad.
Some of the Erie's most well known trains included the Erie Limited. Midlander , Southern Tier Express and Mountain Express. All of these had their western termini in Chicago, except the Mountain Express which terminated in Hornell, in the Southern Tier. In addition to its steam and desiel services the Erie also operated an electric commuter rail line to its terminal station in Rochester, New York. The station was one of the Erie's few electrified railroad stations.And the railroad became one the first to provide electric commuter services in 1907. The item "ERIE RAILROAD Lantern CT HAM No. 39 RAILROAD ERIE RR PATENTED DEC 26 1893" is in sale since Tuesday, May 21, 2019. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Railroadiana & Trains\Hardware\Lanterns & Lamps". The seller is "railcarhobbies" and is located in Warsaw, Missouri. This item can be shipped worldwide.