This is a Rare vintage piece of Railroad History made by CT HAM MFG CO. For the BOSTON & ALBANY RAILROAD. This lantern is marked B. The extended Corning clear glass globe is embossed B. Cnx, No cracks, some small chips around rims and a straw casting mark.
The burner is marked BEACON, E. MADE IN USA, wick advances perfectly. The RARE glass Fuel font is in good condition. It drops in and twists and locks correctly. The burner is partly stripped connecting to the font.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. For the railroad in the U. State of Georgia, see Boston and Albany Railroad (Georgia). The Boston and Albany Railroad reporting mark. Later becoming part of the New York Central Railroad.
Passenger service is still operated on the line by Amtrak. As part of their Lake Shore Limited. Service, and by the MBTA Commuter Rail. System, which owns and uses the section east of Worcester.Station and landscape design program. System Map of Boston & Albany RR N. Lessee as of 1956-04-29, from Employee Timetable No. Gradient Profile of Main Line Boston-Albany. The Boston and Worcester Railroad was chartered June 23, 1831 and construction began in August 1832. The line opened in sections: to West Newton. On April 16, 1834; to Wellesley. On July 3; to Ashland. On September 20; to Westborough. In November 1834; and the full length to Worcester. The originally single-track line was doubled-tracked from Boston to Framingham in 1839, and on to Worcester by 1843.
The Western Railroad was chartered February 15, 1833 and incorporated March 15, 1833 to connect the B&W to the Hudson and Berkshire Railroad. Construction began in 1837, and the Eastern Division to the Connecticut River. Opened on October 1, 1839. The Western Division, through the Berkshire Hills.Opened in sections from both ends from the state line to Pittsfield. May 4, 1841, West Springfield. May 24, 1841, Springfield to West Springfield (across the Connecticut River) July 4, 1841, Pittsfield to "Summit" August 9, 1841, and Chester to Summit September 13, 1841. On October 4, 1841 the first train ran along the full route.
The Castleton and West Stockbridge Railroad was incorporated in New York. In 1834 as the New York part of the Western Railroad, and changed its name to the Albany and West Stockbridge Railroad (chartered May 5, 1836, organized May 20).Construction began in December 1840 and the line opened from Greenbush. On December 21, 1841 and to the Massachusetts. State line on September 12, 1842. It was leased to the Western Railroad for 50 years from November 11, 1841.
This railroad replaced the Hudson and Berkshire Railroad east of Chatham, which was abandoned around 1860. Two mergers, on September 4, 1867 and December 28, 1870 brought the three companies, along with the Hudson and Boston Railroad. Together into one company, known as the Boston and Albany Railroad. The New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. Leased the B&A for 99 years from July 1, 1900.
This lease passed to the New York Central Railroad. In 1914; throughout this, the B&A kept its own branding in the public eye. The NYC merged into Penn Central. In 1883, the B&A acquired track then owned by the New York and New England Railroad.
As far as Newton Highlands, and, in 1884, began the construction of a line northwest to the B&A mainline, creating a commuter loop. "The Circuit, " as this route was called, officially opened in May 1886, providing double-track operation from downtown Boston through Brookline to Newton Highlands, then north into Riverside, and four tracks on the mainline from Riverside back to downtown so that commuter and mainline operations did not conflict.
By 1889, as many as 35 trains traveled the Circuit daily, providing commuter service. In 1899, the new South Station. Opened in Boston, a few blocks northeast of the old terminal. That terminal had been located on the west side of Utica Street Boston, from Kneeland Street south to Harvard Street, now part of the South Bay Interchange.
Even earlier, the terminal was in the block bounded by Kneeland Street, Beach Street, Albany Street now Surface Artery. By the early part of the 20th century, commuter rail. Service was provided east of Worcester. The intercity trips were taken over by Amtrak. On May 1, 1971, and, on January 27, 1973, the MBTA.
Acquired the line east of Framingham. Service beyond Framingham was discontinued October 27, 1975, as the state did not subsidize it. Took over Penn Central on April 1, 1976.On September 26, 1994, some rush hour. Trains started to serve Worcester. On Conrail trackage which became CSX. Trackage on June 1, 1999, extending to other times beginning on December 14, 1996.
The MBTA acquired the rest of the line from Framingham to Worcester as part of an agreement announced in 2009. As part of the deal, clearances on the line west of Interstate 495. Will be improved, permitting full double stack. Facility in Worcester and a transload.The deal was closed on June 17, 2010. Retains the right to use certain MBTA-owned track. Since 1959, the former "Circuit" line, later called the Highland Branch, has been used as the grade-separated right-of-way of the MBTA's Green Line "D" Branch. The Boston & Albany hosted many named long-distance trains of the New York Central system. Below is a list of named trains effective as of 1939-11-12. The Mohawk, Boston-Albany-Buffalo-Cleveland-Chicago with connection at Cleveland for Indianapolis and St. Louis with connection at Cleveland for Cincinnati. New England States, Boston-Albany-Buffalo-Chicago with connection at Buffalo for Ashtabula, Youngstown, thence via Pittsburgh & Lake Erie to Pittsburgh.
The Niagara, Boston-Albany-Buffalo-Niagara Falls-London Ont. Detroit-Ann Arbor-Chicago with connection to Cleveland and Cincinnati at Buffalo.
South Shore Express, Boston-Albany-Buffalo-Cleveland-Chicago with connection to Chicago via Detroit at Buffalo and to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and St. World's Fairliner, Chicago-Cleveland-Buffalo-Albany-Boston with connection from Detroit at Buffalo. New York Special, Chicago-Ann Arbor-Detroit-London Ont.
Henry Hudson, Toledo-Cleveland-Buffalo-Albany-Boston with connection from Grand Rapids and Niagara Falls at Buffalo. North Shore Limited, Chicago-Ann Arbor-Detroit-London Ont.
Cover of pocket timetable, 1878. Was chartered in 1847 as a reincorpration of the 1846 Chelsea Branch Railroad.Meant to connect the lines north and west of Boston. The first section, from East Boston. Opened in 1849, and the extension to the B&W in Allston. Leased the line from 1852 to 1866, using part of it as their new main line. In 1866 the B&W bought the line keeping trackage rights. The Brookline Branch split from the main line in the west part of Boston.
Running southwest for 1.55 mi (2.5 km) to Brookline. The current location of Brookline Village. In Summer 1852 the Charles River Branch Railroad.
Extended the line to Newton Upper Falls. This would eventually become part of the New England Railroad. An alternate route to New York.In 1882 the B&A bought part of the Charles River Branch, and in 1884 they built a line from Riverside. To the branch, forming the Highland Branch. Newton Highlands Branch or " Newton Circuit ".
Service ended in 1958, and the MBTA. Line started using the tracks in 1959. The short 1.25 mile (2.0 km) Newton Lower Falls Branch. Opened in 1847, splitting from the main line just west of Riverside.At some point it was realigned to split at Riverside. Opened in 1846, running 3.87 miles (6.2 km) from Natick. Branch opened in 1849, running 2.06 miles (3.3 km) from Framingham. Was incorporated in 1847 and opened in 1855, continuing the branch to Northborough. It was leased by the B&W in 1853, but consolidated into the Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg and New Bedford Railroad. In 1876 and leased to the Old Colony Railroad.
In 1879 after changing its name to the Boston, Clinton and Fitchburg Railroad. This company also used the Framingham Branch as part of its main line. In 1847, the 11.97 mile (19.3 km) Milford Branch. A connection was later made at Milford.
To the Milford and Woonsocket Railroad. The 3.07 mile (4.9 km) Millbury Branch.
Opened in 1846 from a split at Millbury Junction. The Providence, Webster and Springfield Railroad. Was chartered in 1882, opened in 1884, and always leased to and operated by the B&A. The line formed a branch of the B&A from Webster Junction.To the Worcester and Norwich Railroad. With a short branch (East Village Branch) in Webster to East Village. Opened and was leased to the B&A in 1879, as a short branch from South Spencer. The B&A outright bought it in 1889. Was chartered in 1874, incorporated in 1875 and opened in 1876, branching from the B&A in East Brookfield. And running to North Brookfield. It was leased to the B&A from opening.
Was chartered in 1868, running from Palmer. The first section, from Palmer to Gilbertville. Opened in 1870, and the rest in 1873.Until 1873 it was leased to and operated by the New London Northern Railroad. At that time the lease was transferred to the B&A, as a reorganization of the earlier company.
The Athol and Enfield Railroad. And Springfield and North-Eastern Railroad.Were chartered in 1869, and succeeded by the Springfield, Athol and North-eastern Railroad. In 1872, opening in 1873 as a branch from Athol Junction. To the Vermont and Massachusetts Railroad. The B&A bought the line in 1880. The majority of the line was closed in the 1930s due to the formation of the Quabbin Reservoir.
The Chester and Becket Railroad. Was chartered in 1896 and opened in 1897 from Chester.It was always operated by the B&A. The Pittsfield and North Adams Railroad. Was incorporated in 1842 and opened in 1846, having been already leased to the Western Railroad. It ran from North Adams Junction. Where it connected to the Troy and Greenfield Railroad. Surviving structures along this branch include the Pittsfield & North Adams Passenger Station and Baggage & Express House. Most of this line has been turned into the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail. The Hudson and Berkshire Railroad. Was chartered in 1828 to build a line from Hudson, New York.
Construction began in 1835 and was completed in 1838. The company was leased to the Berkshire Railroad. Along with the connecting West Stockbridge Railroad. In 1844, but was bought by the Western Railroad in 1854. The name was changed to the Hudson and Boston Railroad.
In 1855, and the part east of Chatham. Was abandoned around 1860, as it was redundant with the newer Albany and West Stockbridge Railroad (part of the B&A main line). The rest of the line formed a cutoff between the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. The Post Road Branch or Selkirk Branch was originally built as part of the Hudson River Connecting Railroad. A southern bypass of the Albany.It opened in 1924, and the part of it from the B&A at Post Road Crossing. The crossing of the Albany Post Road. On the east side of the Hudson River. Became the B&A Post Road Branch.
The rest became the New York Central Railroad. The B&A undertook a significant program of improvement and beautification in the 1880s and 1890s. Beginning in 1881, the B&A hired architect Henry Hobson Richardson. To design a series of passenger stations.Over the next five years, Richardson was responsible for nine B&A stations Auburndale, Chestnut Hill, Elliot, Waban, and Woodland (Newton, MA), Wellesley Hills, Brighton, South Framingham, and Palmer, as well as a dairy building; he also provided designs for passenger cars. At the same time, the B&A hired landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. To design the grounds of several stations and to work with the railroad to establish a landscape beautification program for other stations. After Richardson's death, the B&A commissioned his successors, Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge. To design twenty-three additional stations between 1886 and 1894. The B&A's innovative program of well-designed stations and landscape served as a model for several other railroads around the turn of the 20th century. The route of the Boston and Albany line changed several times over its lifetime. These changes include rerouting for the creation of the Quabbin Reservoir.
All south side Commuter Rail. Passenger connections to Red Line. Originally Trinity Place splits from Attleboro/Stoughton Line. Only operated during games at Fenway Park.
Until January 2, 2001 when it opened to daily commuter traffic. Not a station split with Highland Branch. Merge with Grand Junction Branch.Closed October 27, 1977 split with Highland Branch. And Newton Lower Falls Branch. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. And Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg and New Bedford Railroad. Original station opened 1899 (converted to business office), closed 1960. Originally North Grafton junction with Grafton and Upton Railroad. Closed split with Millbury Branch. Temporarily closed October 26, 1975, reopened September 26, 1994 junction with Providence and Worcester Railroad. , Worcester, Nashua and Rochester Railroad. And Boston, Barre and Gardner Railroad. Closed junction with Norwich and Worcester Railroad. Not a station split with Webster Branch.
Closed merge with Spencer Branch. Closed merge with North Brookfield Branch. Closed junction with Ware River Branch.
And New London Northern Railroad. Closed merge with connection to Athol Branch. Not a station merge with Athol Branch.Junction with Hartford and Springfield Railroad. , Springfield and New London Railroad. Not a station split with Central New England Railway. Closed junction with New Haven and Northampton Company. Closed split with Chester and Becket Branch. Closed merge with North Adams Branch. Junction with Stockbridge and Pittsfield Railroad. Closed junction with West Stockbridge Railroad. Closed junction with Hudson Branch. New York and Harlem Railroad. And Chatham and Lebanon Valley Railroad. Closed (now branch of National Union Bank of Kinderhook). Closed split with Post Road Branch.
Junction with Hudson River Railroad. And Troy and Greenbush Railroad. This article has multiple issues.Or discuss these issues on the talk page. Learn how and when to remove these template messages. This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article. By adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. Learn how and when to remove this template message.
This article includes a list of references. But its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. New York Central system in 1918.
The main concourse of Grand Central Terminal. The New York Central's most notable landmark. Formerly the New York Central Building, the headquarters of the railroad.
The New York Central Railroad reporting mark. Operating in the Northeastern United States.
Headquartered in New York City. The railroad served most of the Northeast, including extensive trackage in the states of New York.
Plus additional trackage in the Canadian provinces of Ontario. The railroad primarily connected greater New York.
In the east with Chicago. In the midwest along with the intermediate cities of Albany.
NYC's Grand Central Terminal. In New York City is one of its best known extant landmarks.In 1968 the NYC merged with its former rival, the Pennsylvania Railroad. The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. That company went bankrupt in 1970 and was taken over by the federal government and merged into Conrail. Conrail was broken up in 1998, and portions of its system was transferred to the newly formed New York Central Lines LLC. A subsidiary leased to and eventually absorbed by CSX. Those companies' lines included the original New York Central main line, but outside that area it included lines that were never part of the New York Central system. CSX was able to take one of the most important main lines in the nation, which runs from New York City and Boston to Cleveland, Ohio, as part of the Water Level Route, while Norfolk Southern gained the Cleveland, Ohio to Chicago, Illinois portion of the line called the Chicago line. At the end of 1925, the New York Central System operated 11,584 miles (18,643 km) of road and 26,395 miles (42,479 km) of track; at the end of 1967 the mileages were 9,696 miles (15,604 km) and 18,454 miles (29,699 km). Merger with the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The railroad was formed in 1853 through a consolidation of earlier independent companies running between Albany. The Mohawk and Hudson Railroad. Was the oldest segment of the NYC merger and was the first permanent railroad in the state of New York and one of the first railroads in the United States.
It was chartered in 1826 to connect the Mohawk River. The Mohawk and Hudson opened on September 24, 1831, and changed its name to the Albany and Schenectady Railroad. The Utica and Schenectady Railroad.
Was chartered April 29, 1833; as the railroad paralleled the Erie Canal. Revenue service began August 2, 1836, extending the line of the Albany and Schenectady Railroad west from Schenectady along the north side of the Mohawk River. Opposite the Erie Canal, to Utica. The Syracuse and Utica Railroad.The full line opened July 3, 1839, extending the line further to Syracuse. Via the already-opened Auburn and Syracuse Railroad. This line was not direct, going out of its way to stay near the Erie Canal and serve Rome, and so the Syracuse and Utica Direct Railroad.
Was chartered January 26, 1853. Nothing of that line was ever built, though the later West Shore Railroad.
Acquired by the NYC in 1885, served the same purpose. The Auburn and Syracuse Railroad. Was chartered May 1, 1834, and opened mostly in 1838, the remaining 4 miles (6.4 km) opening on June 4, 1839.
A month later, with the opening of the Syracuse and Utica Railroad. This formed a complete line from Albany west via Syracuse. The Auburn and Rochester Railroad. Was chartered May 13, 1836, as a further extension via Geneva. Opening on November 4, 1841.
The two lines merged on August 1, 1850, to form the rather indirect Rochester and Syracuse Railroad. Known later as the Auburn Road. To fix this, the' Rochester and Syracuse Direct Railway. Was chartered and immediately merged into the Rochester and Syracuse Railroad. That line opened June 1, 1853, running much more directly between those two cities, roughly parallel to the Erie Canal.
To the west of Rochester, was chartered April 24, 1832 to build from said city to Attica. The first section, from Rochester southwest to Batavia. Opened May 5, 1837, and the rest of the line to Attica opened on January 8, 1843. The Attica and Buffalo Railroad. Chartered in 1836 and opened on November 24, 1842, running from Buffalo.When the Auburn and Rochester Railroad. Opened in 1841, there was no connection at Rochester to the Tonawanda Railroad, but with that exception there was now an all-rail line between Buffalo and Albany.
On March 19, 1844, the Tonawanda Railroad was authorized to build the connection, and it opened later that year. The Albany and Schenectady Railroad. Cars of the other railroads between Albany and Buffalo on February 17, 1848, and began operating through cars. On December 7, 1850, the Tonawanda Railroad and Attica and Buffalo Railroad merged to form the Buffalo and Rochester Railroad.A new direct line opened from Buffalo east to Batavia on April 26, 1852, and the old line between Depew. The line was added to the New York and Erie Railroad. The Schenectady and Troy Railroad.
Was chartered in 1836 and opened in 1842, providing another route between the Hudson River and Schenectady, with its Hudson River terminal at Troy. The Lockport and Niagara Falls Railroad. Was chartered in 1834 to build from Lockport.
On December 14, 1850, it was reorganized as the Rochester, Lockport and Niagara Falls Railroad. And an extension east to Rochester opened on July 1, 1852. The Buffalo and Lockport Railroad. Was chartered April 27, 1852, to build a branch of the Rochester, Lockport and Niagara Falls from Lockport towards Buffalo.
It opened in 1854, running from Lockport to Tonawanda. Where it joined the Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad. Opened 1837, for the rest of the way to Buffalo. In addition to the Syracuse and Utica Direct Railroad. Another never-built company, the Mohawk Valley Railroad , was chartered January 21, 1851, and reorganized December 28, 1852, to build a railroad on the south side of the Mohawk River.
Next to the Erie Canal. And opposite the Utica and Schenectady. Was later built on that location. Map of the Water Level Routes of the New York Central Railroad (purple), West Shore Railroad.
Albany industrialist and Mohawk Valley Railroad owner Erastus Corning. Managed to unite the above railroads together into one system, and on March 17, 1853 executives and stockholders of each company agreed to merge.
The merger was approved by the state legislature on April 2, and by May 17, 1853 the New York Central Railroad was formed. The previously independent companies were consolidated, including the main line from Albany to Buffalo, to create a more efficient regional system. The Rochester and Syracuse Railroad. Also owned the old alignment via Auburn. Known as the Auburn Road.
The Buffalo and Rochester included a branch from Batavia. Part of the main line until 1852. Also included in the merger were three other railroads. Rochester, Lockport and Niagara Falls Railroad. A major branch from Rochester.A branch from the Rochester, Lockport and Niagara Falls at Lockport. On the Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad. As well as two that had not built any road, and never would. Syracuse and Utica Direct Railroad.
Soon the Buffalo and State Line Railroad. And Erie and North East Railroad. And connected directly with the NYC in Buffalo, providing a through route to Erie, Pennsylvania.The Rochester and Lake Ontario Railroad. Was organized in 1852 and opened in Fall. 1853; it was leased to the Rochester, Lockport and Niagara Falls Railroad. Which became part of the NYC, before opening.
In 1855 it was merged into the NYC, providing a branch from Rochester. The Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad. Was also merged into the NYC in 1855.
It had been chartered in 1834 and opened in 1837, providing a line between Buffalo. It was leased to the NYC in 1853. Also in 1855 came the merger with the Lewiston Railroad. It was chartered in 1836 and opened in 1837 without connections to other railroads. In 1854 a southern extension opened to the Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad.And the line was leased to the NYC. The Canandaigua and Niagara Falls Railroad. The first stage opened in 1853 from Canandaigua. A continuation west to North Tonawanda. Opened later that year, and in 1854 a section opened in Niagara Falls.
Connecting it to the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge. The NYC bought the company at bankruptcy. In 1858 and reorganized it as the Niagara Bridge and Canandaigua Railroad.
Merging it into itself in 1890. The Saratoga and Hudson River Railroad. Was chartered in 1864 and opened in 1866 as a branch of the NYC from Athens Junction. Southeast and south to Athens. On the west side of the Hudson River.
On September 9, 1867, the company was merged into the NYC, but in 1867 the terminal at Athens burned down and the line was abandoned. For details on the section in Manhattan. An 1866 drawing of the Hudson River Bridge (Albany).
The Troy and Greenbush Railroad. Was chartered in 1845 and opened later that year, connecting Troy. South to Greenbush now Rensselaer. On the east side of the Hudson River.Was chartered May 12, 1846, to extend this line south to New York City; the full line opened October 3, 1851. Prior to completion, on June 1, the Hudson River leased the Troy and Greenbush. Obtained control of the Hudson River Railroad in 1864, soon after he bought the parallel New York and Harlem Railroad. Along the line of the Hudson River Railroad, the High Line. Was built in 1934 in New York City as an elevated bypass to street running. The elevated section has since been abandoned, and the tunnel north of 36th St, opened in 1937, is used only by Amtrak. Trains to New York Penn Station. All other trains use the Spuyten Duyvil and Port Morris Railroad. To reach the Harlem Line. A surviving section of the High Line. In the Chelsea section of Manhattan recently opened as a linear park.
Manufactured by the Gallet Watch Company. For use by conductors and engineers of the New York Central Rail Road. In 1867 Vanderbilt acquired control of the Albany to Buffalo running NYC, with the help of maneuverings related to the Hudson River Bridge.
On November 1, 1869 he merged the NYC with his Hudson River Railroad into the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. This extended the system south from Albany. Along the east bank of the Hudson River. To New York City, with the leased Troy and Greenbush Railroad. Running from Albany north to Troy.Vanderbilt's other lines were operated as part of the NYC; these included the New York and Harlem Railroad. Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. The Spuyten Duyvil and Port Morris Railroad. Was chartered in 1869 and opened in 1871, providing a route on the north side of the Harlem River. For trains along the Hudson River to head southeast to the New York and Harlem Railroad.
From opening it was leased by the NYC. The Geneva and Lyons Railroad.
Was organized in 1877 and opened in 1878, leased by the NYC from opening. This was a north-south connection between Syracuse. Running from the main line at Lyons.
South to the Auburn Road. It was merged into the NYC in 1890. In 1885, the New York, West Shore and Buffalo Railway. A potential competitor with trackage rights along the west shore of the Hudson River, taken over by the NYC as the West Shore Railroad. The NYC assumed control of the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie.And Boston and Albany Railroads. In 1887 and 1900, respectively, with both roads remaining as independently operating subsidiaries.
In 1914 the name was changed again, forming the modern New York Central Railroad. The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Also known as the Big Four , was formed on June 30, 1889 by the merger of the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway. And the Indianapolis and St. The following year, the company gained control of the former Indiana Bloomington and Western Railway.By 1906, the Big Four was itself acquired by the New York Central Railroad. The generally level topography of the NYC system had a character distinctively different than the mountainous terrain of its archrival, the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Most of its major routes, including New York to Chicago, followed rivers and had no significant grades other than West Albany Hill. This influenced a great deal about the line, from advertising to locomotive design, built around its flagship New York-Chicago Water Level Route. Of the NYC were optimized for speed on that flat raceway of a main line, rather than slow mountain lugging. Famous locomotives of the system included the well-known 4-6-4. Era L-3 and L-4 Mohawks.
And the postwar S-class Niagaras. Locomotives often considered the epitome of their breed by steam locomotive aficionados. Despite having some of the most modern steam locomotives. Anywhere, NYC's difficult financial position caused it to convert to more economical diesel-electric.All lines east of Cleveland, Ohio were dieselized as of August 7, 1953. Niagaras were all retired by 1956. The last steam was retired in 1957. But, the economics of northeastern railroading became so dire that not even this switch could change things for the better. A number of bypasses and cutoffs were built around congested areas. Opened in 1871, providing a bypass of Buffalo, New York. To the northeast, as well as a loop route for passenger trains via downtown.
Acquired in 1885, provided a bypass around Rochester, New York. Allowing through traffic to bypass Buffalo to the southeast, opened in 1898. Consisted of two connections to the West Shore Railroad. Allowing through trains to bypass the steep grades at Schenectady, New York. The full project opened in 1902.The Cleveland Short Line Railway. Built a bypass of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1924, the Alfred H. Was constructed as part of the Hudson River Connecting Railroad. Terminal area and West Albany Hill. An unrelated realignment was made in the 1910s at Rome.
Was realigned and widened onto a new alignment south of downtown Rome. The NYC main line was shifted south out of downtown to the south bank of the new canal. A bridge was built southeast of downtown, roughly where the old main line crossed the path of the canal, to keep access to from the southeast.
West of downtown, the old main line was abandoned, but a brand new railroad line was built, running north from the NYC main line to the NYC's former Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad. Allowing all NYC through traffic to bypass Rome. Locomotive built with streamlining designed by Henry Dreyfuss. Used to haul the 20th Century Limited.Watkins Glen Viaduct in Watkins Glen State Park. For two-thirds of the twentieth century the New York Central had some of the most famous trains in the United States. Begun in 1902, ran from Grand Central Terminal. In New York to LaSalle Street Station. Chicago and was its most famous train, known for its red carpet treatment and first class service. In the mid-1930s many railroad companies were introducing streamliner. Locomotives; until the New York Central introduced the Commodore Vanderbilt all were diesel-electric. The Vanderbilt used the more common steam engine.
The Century , which followed the Water Level Route , could complete the 960-mile trip in 16 hours after its June 15, 1938 streamlining (and did it in 15½ hours for a short period after World War II). Also famous was its Empire State Express. Through upstate New York to Buffalo and Cleveland, and Ohio State Limited.
From New York to Cincinnati. NYC also provided the Rexall Train. Of 1936, which toured 47 states to promote the Rexall chain of drug stores. Famous New York Central trains.New York to Chicago (limited stops) via the Water Level Route 1902? Chicago (a few more stops) via the Water Level Route. Chicago via Cleveland with branch service to Boston and St.
Present (Reinstated and combined with New England States by Amtrak in 1971). Chicago all-coach train via Cleveland. Wolverine : New York-Chicago via southern Ontario and Detroit. The Mercuries- All Mercuries ran between 1936 and 1959.
New York-Buffalo and Cleveland via the Empire Corridor 1891? New York-Cincinnati via Empire Corridor.
1960 (Special experimental lightweight train). Boston-Chicago via the Water Level Route 1938? 1971 (Retained by Penn Central and, for Amtrak, combined with reinstated Lake Shore Limited). Trains left from Grand Central Terminal in New York, Weehawken Terminal. In Boston, Cincinnati Union Terminal.
In Cincinnati, Michigan Central Station. And LaSalle Street Station in Chicago. The New York Central had a network of commuter lines in New York and Massachusetts. Had the railroad's Hudson, Harlem, and Putnam lines into Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan (Putnam Division trains required a change at High Bridge, NY), while New Jersey and Rockland County, New York were serviced by the West Shore Line between Weehawken and West Haverstraw, New York, on the west side of the Hudson River.
The New York Central, like many U. Railroads, declined after the Second World War. Problems resurfaced that had plagued the railroad industry before the war, such as over-regulation by the Interstate Commerce Commission. (ICC), which severely regulated the rates charged by the railroad, along with continuing competition from automobiles. These problems were coupled with even more formidable forms of competition, such as airline service in the 1950s that began to deprive the NYC of its long-distance passenger trade.
The 1959 opening of the Saint Lawrence Seaway. To make matters worse, most railroads, including the NYC, were saddled with a World War II? In June 1954 management of the New York Central System lost a proxy fight. In 1954 to Robert Ralph Young.And the Alleghany Corporation he led. Was a real estate and railroad empire built by the Van Sweringen brothers. In the 1920s that had controlled the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway.
(C&O) and the Nickel Plate Road. It fell under the control of Young and financier Allan Price Kirby.Young was considered a railroad visionary, but found the New York Central in worse shape than he had imagined. Unable to keep his promises, Young was forced to suspend dividend payments in January, 1958. Revenue passenger traffic, in millions of passenger-miles. After his suicide, Young's role in NYC management was assumed by Alfred E. Who had been working with the NYC under Young since 1954.
Perlman also enacted several modernization projects throughout the railroad. Notable was the use of Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) systems on many of the NYC lines, which reduced the four-track mainline to two tracks. He oversaw construction and/or modernization of many hump or classification yards. Perlman also experimented with jet trains. Creating a Budd RDC car the M-497 Black Beetle.
Stripped from a B-36 Peacemaker. Bomber as a solution to increasing car and airplane competition.
The project did not leave the prototype stage. Perlman's cuts resulted in the curtailing of many of the railroad's services; commuter lines around New York were particularly affected. In 1958-59 service was suspended on the NYC's Putnam Division. In Westchester and Putnam counties, and the NYC abandoned its ferry service across the Hudson to Weehawken Terminal. This negatively impacted the railroad's West Shore Line, which ran along the west bank of the Hudson River from Jersey City to Albany, which saw long-distance service to Albany discontinued in 1958 and commuter service between Jersey City and West Haverstraw, New York.
Ridding itself of most of its commuter service proved impossible due to the heavy use of these lines around metro New York, which government mandated the railroad still operate. Many long-distance and regional-haul passenger trains were either discontinued or downgraded in service, with coaches replacing Pullman, parlor, and sleeping cars on routes in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Between Albany and Buffalo saw service greatly reduced with service beyond Buffalo to Niagara Falls.On December 3, 1967, most of the great long-distance trains ended, including the famed "Twentieth Century Limited". The railroad's branch line service off the Empire Corridor in upstate New York was also gradually discontinued, the last being its Utica Branch between Utica and Lake Placid, in 1965. Many of the railroad's great train stations in Rochester, Schenectady, and Albany were demolished or abandoned. Despite the savings these cuts created, it was apparent that if the railroad was to become solvent again a more permanent solution was needed. One problem that many of the Northeastern railroads faced was the fact that the railroad market was saturated for the dwindling rail traffic that remained. The NYC had to compete with its two biggest rivals: the Pennsylvania Railroad. (PRR), and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. (B&O), in addition to more moderate-size railroads such as the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad. The Central Railroad of New Jersey. And the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Mergers of these railroads seemed a promising way for these companies to streamline operations and reduce the competition.
The DL&W and Erie railroads had showed some success when they began merging their operations in 1956, finally leading to the formation of the Erie Lackawanna Railroad. Other mergers combined the Virginian Railway. And several others into the Norfolk and Western Railway.
(N&W) system, and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. (WM), and Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (C&O) combined with others to form the Chessie System. Heavy streamlining and reduction in passenger services led to the success of many of these mergers. Following this trend, the NYC began to look for a potential railroad to merge with as early as the mid-1950s and had originally sought out mergers with the B&O and the NYC-controlled Nickel Plate Road.
Unlike the aforementioned mergers, however, a NYC merger proved tricky due to the fact that the railroad still operated a fairly extensive amount of regional and commuter passenger services that were under mandates by the Interstate Commerce Commission to maintain. It soon became apparent that the only other railroad with enough capital to allow for a potentially successful merger proved to be the NYC's chief rival, the PRR: itself a railroad that still had a large passenger trade. Merger talks between the two roads were discussed as early as 1955; however, this was delayed due to a number of factors: among them, interference by the Interstate Commerce Commission, objections from operating unions, concerns from competing railroads, and the inability of the two companies themselves to formulate a merger plan, thus delaying progress for over a decade. Two major points of contention centered on which railroad should have the majority controlling interest going into the merger. Perlman's cost-cutting during the'50s and'60s put the NYC in a more financially healthy situation than the PRR.
Nevertheless, the ICC, with urging by PRR President Stuart Saunders. Wanted the PRR to absorb the NYC. Another point centered on the ICC's wanting to force the bankrupt New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.Better known as the New Haven, into the new system, which it did in 1969, something to which both companies objected. Eventually, both points would ultimately lead to the new Penn Central's demise. In December, 1967, the New York Central published its last public timetable. The final timetable revealed a drastically truncated passenger schedule in anticipation of its merger with the PRR. Most deluxe long-distance passenger trains ended on December 3, 1967, including the famed 20th Century Limited.
Only those trains which were to be continued after the merger with the PRR were retained, along with the railroad's commuter trains. On February 1, 1968, the New York Central was absorbed by the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Forming the new Pennsylvania New York Central Transportation Company that was eventually renamed the Penn Central Transportation Company. With the NYC's Alfred Perlman as president. In addition, the merger was handled in a haphazard manner with no formal merger plan implemented. The two companies' competing corporate cultures, union interest, and incompatible operating and computer systems sabotaged any hope for a success. Additionally in an effort to look profitable, the board of directors authorized the use of the railroad's reserve cash to pay dividends to company stockholders.
Nevertheless, on June 21, 1970 Penn Central declared bankruptcy, the largest private bankruptcy in the United States to that time. Under bankruptcy protection many of Penn Central's outstanding debts owed to other railroads were frozen, while debts owed to Penn Central by the other roads were not. This sent a trickle effect throughout the already fragile railroad industry forcing many of the other Northeastern railroads into insolvency, among them the Erie Lackawanna, Boston and Maine, the Central Railroad of New Jersey, the Reading Company, and the Lehigh Valley. Penn Central marked the last hope of privately funded passenger rail service in the United States. In response to the bankruptcy President Richard Nixon.
Signed into law the Rail Passenger Service Act. Of 1970 which formed the National Railroad Passenger Corporation. Better known as Amtrak , a nationalized government owned and subsidized railroad.On May 1, 1971, Amtrak assumed the responsibility of most regional and long distance intercity passenger trains in the United States. Amtrak would eventually assume ownership of the Northeast Corridor.
A mostly electrified route between Boston and Washington, D. Inherited primarily from the PRR and New Haven systems.Penn Central and the other railroads were still obligated to operate their commuter services for the next five years while in bankruptcy, eventually turning them over to the newly formed Conrail in 1976. There was some hope that Penn Central, and the other Northeastern railroads, could be restructured towards profitability once their burdensome passenger deficits were unloaded. However, this was not to be and the railroads never recovered from their respective bankruptcies. Officially the Consolidated Rail Corporation, was created by the U.
As mentioned, Conrail assumed control of Penn Central's commuter lines throughout the Lower Hudson Valley. Of New York, Connecticut, and in and around Boston. In 1983 these commuter services would be turned over to the state funded Metro North Railroad. In New York and Connecticut, and Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. Conrail would go on to achieve profitability by the 1990s and was sought by several other large railroads in a continuing trend of mergers eventually having its assets absorbed by CSX and Norfolk Southern.
Conrail, in an effort to streamline its operations, was forced to abandon miles of both NYC and PRR trackage. Nevertheless, the majority of the NYC system is still intact and used by both CSX and Amtrak.
Among the lines still used are the famed Water Level Route between New York and Chicago, as well as its former Boston & Albany line between these points, the Kankakee Belt Route through Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa, and the West Shore Line between Jersey City and the Albany suburb of Selkirk where the old NYC? On June 6, 1998, most of Conrail. Was split between Norfolk Southern. New York Central Lines LLC. Was formed as a subsidiary of Conrail, containing the lines to be operated by CSX; this included the old Water Level Route and many other lines of the New York Central, as well as various lines from other companies.It also assumed the NYC reporting mark. CSX eventually fully absorbed it, as part of a streamlining of Conrail operations. The item "BOSTON & ALBANY RAILROAD LANTERN Bell Bottom C.
1893" is in sale since Monday, October 14, 2019. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Railroadiana & Trains\Hardware\Lanterns & Lamps". The seller is "railcarhobbies" and is located in Warsaw, Missouri.
This item can be shipped worldwide.