This RARE piece of Vintage Railroad History was made by THE KEYSTONE LANTERN CO. For the BUFFALO & SUSQUEHANNA RAILROAD. The lantern is marked KEYSTONE LANTERN CO.30, 1902 and JUNE 2, 1903. The brass burner is marked "K-C" TRADE MARK and twist off fuel font are in good working order. The Corning clear glass globe is etched B. And embossed B2 Cnx MADE IN U. No cracks some small flea chips around rims. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. B&S No 7401 goods waggon. Company that formerly operated in western and north central. It was created in 1893 by the merger and consolidation of several smaller logging railroads.
Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburgh Railway. The Baltimore and Ohio officially took over operations of both roads in 1932. In 1954, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad and its remaining subsidiaries were formally merged into the Baltimore and Ohio system. Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad.The line was finally abandoned in 1979. The Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad was created and constructed by. Fuel dealer, to move his lumber and coal from north central Pennsylvania to his businesses and companies in Buffalo. The line was started in.
Where it branched off to. The Wellsville branch was briefly extended to Buffalo. Near Keating Summit, the line was extended south from. Terminating 75 miles (121 km) south at. At its peak, the railroad ran 250 miles (400 km) from Buffalo to Sagamore and had more than 400 miles (640 km) of track.South for coal and lumber. Goodyear, a Buffalo lumber and fuel dealer, bought thousands of acres of virgin Hemlock timberland in north-central Pennsylvania. Up until the 1880s, the lumber industries mostly avoided Hemlock, due to its ring shaking and high knot content. Instead choosing to go after the more solid Pine and Spruce forests. But with most of the other local competing softwoods forests already denuded, there was now a growing local demand for the cheaper Hemlock.
At the same time, the lack of good waterways to float the lumber to the mills made this location less than ideal for standard operations by experienced lumber operators of the time. To extract the lumber from his new investment, Goodyear first organized the Sinnemahoning Valley Railroad. Buffalo, New York & Philadelphia Railroad. The Sinnemahoning Valley Railroad ran from Keating Summit (Forest House) east to a switchback and then south down the north branch of Freeman Run toward Austin.
The Sinnemahoning Valley Railroad opened officially as a common carrier on December 14, 1885. Although most of the lumber railroads of the time and area were 3-footers (narrow gauge), Goodyear used his foresight in building his logging railroads of permanent quality to a standard gauge and laid with 70 pound rail, which really paid off in the future. Goodyear built a huge sawmill, and brought all his timber here by rail to get cut.
Then in 1886 he extended the line 13 miles (21 km) south to. Where there was a large sole leather tannery. The leather tanneries used the. Which was a by-product of the saw mills, to create tannin.This allowed him to benefit greatly by supplying one industry with the waste product of another. In 1887 he joined with his brother to create the firm of. In the end, it was this firm that owned most of the properties, mills, railroads, locomotives and many other assets. Starting in 1891, the Sinnemahoning Valley Railroad would be extended north west up past Galeton, all the way to Ansonia, where it would make a connection with the. To get here, the railroad had to cross a large ridge.
To accomplish this, the railroad built four large switchbacks, instead of tunnels. This may have been acceptable thinking at the time, as the line was still primarily a logging railroad, where switchbacks were quite common. These switchbacks would limit trains to 15 cars. Starting in the early 1890s, an initiative was started to build a number of smaller lines linking the Sinnemahoning Valley Railroad at Costello, up to Galeton and east to Ansonia. At this point that there already was a narrow gauge line running from Galeton north east up to Addison.
Was started in 1882 from Addison, reaching Gaines and Galeton by 1885. In 1891, The Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Company (of 1891) was started in Galeton and headed south west 14 miles (23 km) to. Cherry Springs is at the top of the hill, between both sets of switchbacks.
At the same time, in 1891, the. Company connected the Sinnemahoning Valley Railroad at Costello, heading north east to Hull, 14 miles (23 km) away.
This line went from Costello, south to Wharton, then north east up to Conrad. Both of those lines were completed by 1893, when the. Company was created and completed the connection of 9 miles (14 km) from Hull to about 2 miles (3.2 km) from Cherry Springs, PA. The Cherry Springs Railroad literally connected the 14-mile (23 km) Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad (of 1891) with the 14-mile (23 km) Susquehanna Railroad.
This connecting line proceeded north west from Conrad, up the hill, to just past the first switchback, to the top of the hill, at Cross Fork Junction. Company would have connected here at the top of the hill, and proceeded 13 miles (21 km) back down the hill, south, to the logging boom town of Cross Fork.Cross Fork would grow quickly to have 2500 residents at its peak. Company (not to be confused with the Wellsville, Coudersport, and Pine Creek) was now finished in 1893, building east from Galeton to Ansonia, Pennsylvania, where they would make a connection with the. In 1893, now that all the little lines were finished, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad (of 1893) was created as a result of the merger of the Sinnemahoning Valley Railroad, the.
Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Company (of 1891). The Susquehanna Railroad, the Cherry Springs Railroad, and the Cross Fork Railroad. At this point, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad's main line now started with a connection with the. At Keating Summit, utilizing a small switchback it proceeded south east, past Austin and Costello, where at Wharton the line would proceed north east up the grade.About 14 miles (23 km) south of Galeton, four large switchbacks were required to get over the ridge and into Galeton. The mainline continued past Galeton and made a connection with the. The main offices for the Buffalo and Susquehanna assumed the old offices of the Sinnemahoning Valley in Austin, PA. The B&S route in 1901.
The Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad now extended sixty-two miles from Keating Summit to Ansonia, with a 13-mile (21 km) branch to the booming logging town of Cross Fork. By 1893, it is reported that Frank Goodyear owned ten locomotives. The line was served by a number of Shay logging locomotives, based out of Austin, Pa. As well as a Baldwin 2-8-0 locomotive. Many construction railroads and temporary lines were being built by the B&S, or the.
Company, or the lumber companies themselves, to service the timber transport in the area. The Lackawanna Lumber Company, Emporium Lumber and Central Pennsylvania Lumber company all used the main lines of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad tracks with their equipment. Most of these companies were owned or partnered with the.
As the lumber and tanning business expanded, Frank Goodyear was joined by his brother. Upon reorganization, Frank Goodyear stepped down as president of the railroad and assumed the positions of first vice president and chairman of the board. Became second vice president and general manager of the railroad, while.
In 18951896 the B&S RR Company built a 37-mile (60 km) extension north-west from Galeton to Wellsville, NY, where the B&S now connected with the. New York, Lake Erie & Western. Very soon the Goodyear brothers would also built a large lumber mill in Galeton, also. At Wellsville, there operated a short line called the. Wellsville, Coudersport and Pine Creek Railroad.
It ran south about 10 miles (16 km) from Wellsville to Hickox. (just south of Genesee,) It was a small operation with plans of eventually extending south to Coudersport.
The WCPC was forced to lease their railroad to the B&S under threat of a parallel track. The B&S acquired their only locomotive. Along this north-western line to Wellsville, about halfway from Galeton to Genesee, there existed a 5-mile (8.0 km) stretch of very severe grades, with a peak grade of 2.84 percent.
Many curves and twists were used to get over the hill, requiring the B&S to use multiple engines on even average sized trains. In 1895, the original narrow gauge line that ran from Galeton to Addison, the. Converted from narrow gauge to standard gauge. This would help simplify interchange and operations in the Galeton area, as the B&S was driving a lot of business in the area, and the Addison and Pennsylvania Railroad was hoping to get a bigger share of the traffic.This would not be the case, as Frank Goodyear had other plans. Starting on March 18, 1896, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad had extended from Addison into Corning, New York via trackage rights over the. The Buffalo and Susquehanna railroad would pay the Fall Brook Railroad 14 cents per ton for the 43 miles (69 km) to get to Corning, New York. This implies that the Buffalo and Susquehanna did not use the original line that ran from Galeton to Addison, the Addison and Pennsylvania Railroad, instead having a trackage agreement with the Fall Brook Railroad.
Addison is right next to Corning, and both would have given the B&S an interchange with the. , for markets east (like NYC). This may have been intentional. Also, the Fall Brook Railroad directly competed with the. As they both served Westfield, Knoxville, and Elkland, as the two ran parallel to one another.
Platt running from Galeton, PA to Addison, NY. At this time, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad built the half mile connector track at Gaines Junction to link this new line with their existing line from Galeton to Ansonia, and abandoning the 4.5 miles (7.2 km) of parallel track that ran from Gaines to Galeton.
With the Buffalo and Susquehanna railroad now owning a direct route to Addison, New York and another eastern connection with the. Erie Railroad, the trackage rights agreement for traffic into.
With the Fall Brook Railroad was allowed to expire on June 1, 1898. One wonders if the Fall Brook Railroad ever knew of the Buffalo and Susquehanna's real intentions. At this point, a business partner now became a direct competitor, as the B&S now competed directly with traffic into the Corning area, as well as the parallel track in Westfield, Knoxville, and Elkland. It wouldn't matter much by then anyway, as the Fall Brook Railroad was leased into the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad in 1899.This included new and modern brick structures. Around this time, there was another railroad that connected from Germainia to Galeton, the. Galeton South Branch and Germania Railroad. Which was probably a small logging railroad.
Also at this time, the lumber mill operations of Galeton were beginning to surpass the huge operations in Austin. By 1899, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad was reported to have modern and very comparative facilities with a total of 19 locomotives. 10 (2-8-0) consolidations of 70-98 tons.4 (4-6-0) 10-wheelers of about 65 tons, all Baldwins except 1 (Brooks). Was reported to have an additional 12 Shays for use by their lumber companies. By the late 1890s, the operations of the Goodyear's lumbering company was noted as being the most extensive in the state of Pennsylvania. The mills at Austin, Galeton, and Cross Fork were the most modern in style, and included all the newest and most up-to-date machinery. The mill at Austin was listed as the largest in the state. The Goodyear's employed 2400 men, working 10 hr day. They owned 11 log loaders manufactured by the Marion Steam Shovel Co. Five shay engines moved 207 log cars. One Shay locomotive would handle two log loaders, and about 30 log cars. There were 75 miles (121 km) of logging railroads, which were constantly moved around to uncut parts of the forest. These logging railroads then connected with the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. It was reported in 1898, that the Goodyear's had 10 years worth of timber left.
Some of the mills operated 22 hours per day, and used electric lights to keep the men working at night. In Cross Fork, the Lackawanna Lumber Company had 2 mills.They operated 2 standard locomotives, 2 shay locomotives, 3 log loaders, with a total of 70 log cars. Almost 20 miles (32 km) of rail had been built by the Lackawanna Logging Company at Cross Fork, who also constantly moved the tracks to fresh areas to be cut. In addition, uncut logs were also brought in to Cross Fork by the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad from other nearby areas. In 1900, the Buffalo and Susquehanna was reported to have.
By 19001901, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad built an extension from their mainline at. South through Sinnemahoning, Pennsylvania, connecting with the.
This line was then extended further south to the area of. The line to Du Bois was full of new opportunities for the. Halfway between Driftwood and Du Bios was a small town named.This area is located near the current. And became a big lumbering town for the. Brothers and the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. Medix Run was already established as a small lumbering and coal center before the Buffalo and Susquehanna railroad came. In 1893, the Medix Run Lumber Company was built, and in 1894, and small tannery was built. Was built for almost 12 miles (19 km) to a local coal mine. By 1905, as the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad was being built past Medix Run, the.
Brothers bought the existing mill, the Medix Run Railroad, and 20,000 acres 81 km. Frank Goodyear relocated his original F.Shay Locomotive, #1, from Wellsville, NY to Medix Run, to assist in the busy lumbering operations. Also, later, Shay #12 was officially moved to Medix Run, as operations picked up. Brothers (Goodyear Lumber Company, incorporated in Buffalo, New York, in 1902) were now the largest lumber company as a whole, and had the first and second highest producing mills in all of Pennsylvania, with their fourth busiest mill being in Medix Run. The productivity of the Goodyear lumber mills for 1906 is listed below. Galeton - 92 million feet. Austin - 72 million feet Medix Run - 50 million feet. Cross Fork - Lackawanna Lumber Co.
Southwest of Medix Run, the [Du Bois, Pennsylvania] area was rich in Bituminous coal, which would become the. Brothers' next major interest, to supplement their lumbering interests. By 1905, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad had extended 55 miles (89 km) south to Sykesville, PA with plans to continue south into the larger coal regions. At the same time, the.Earlier, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad company had bought the property of the Clearfield Coal Company in Tyler, PA in 1901 and subsequently created the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal (and Coke) Company. In 1902, some coal properties of the.
By 1904, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke company was the 6th largest mining company in the region, with 284,000 tons mined. Overall, there was a 25 percent increase in Bituminous coal mining since 1900.
By 19051906, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad owned most of the stock and bonds of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke company and Powhatten Coal and Coke Company. Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke Company. S assets to an estimated 120 Million tons of coal.The largest of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke mines would be at the southern end, in Sagamore, PA, where an estimated 2 Million tons per year could be mined from this single drift mining plant alone. To reach their largest coal holdings at Sagamore, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad had to build southwest of DuBois, and then lease trackage rights from the.
Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Railway. For a distance of 16 miles (26 km) between Stanley, Pa to Juneau, PA, the B&S had to use the tracks of the BR&P, with a 20-year lease agreement. The 21 miles (34 km) from Juneau to Sagamore were owned and operated by the B&S. It is unclear why the Goodyear's had to accept this agreement to run the B&S on the BR&P's tracks between Stanley and Juneau. It seems to go against every thing the Goodyear's were trying to accomplish.The town of Sagamore didn't exist before the Buffalo and Susquehanna came. Building would continue as needed, and by the 1920s, 500 houses would be built.
The Sagamore mine was built with the most modern equipment, and of the highest capacity. The mine operation was built for an anticipated production of 10,000 tons per day. (about 250 fully loaded 40-ton coal cars, per day), which would have equaled 3 million tons per year. Needless to say, this production number was never met. By 1907, the production of the Sagmore mine was quickly catching up to the production of the DuBois mines, both averaging over 500,000 tons per year.
In 1907 the mine in Medix Run was closed and abandoned. Production at the Sagamore mines would continue to increase steadily every year. By 1914, the Sagamore mines had reached 3rd place in production, compared to all the other mines in their local districts. Total production at Sagamore was now 794,277 tons out of almost 1.3 Million tons.That total would amount to about 32,500 (40 ton) coal cars for the Buffalo and Susquehanna per year, or about 90 cars per day. The B&S route in 1903, with planned expansion to Buffalo and Sagamore started.
As the Goodyear lumber and coal empire flourished, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad did very well moving tons of coal, coke, logs, finished lumber, Hemlock bark, hides, finished leather products, and a small but steady number of passengers. The brothers had a goal of getting everything to Buffalo, where they could create companies to use the products from Pennsylvania. By 1902, more than 140 miles (230 km) of spurs were reported. As coal and lumber supplies were exhausted in one area the track was pulled up and laid in another. In 1902, Frank Goodyear created the Buffalo and Susquehanna Mining Company, which leased 120 acres 0.49 km.
Of Iron Ore land in the Mesabi Range, Minnesota, with an estimated 15 Million tons of ore. To get this iron ore from Minnesota to Buffalo, he created the. Buffalo & Susquehanna Steamship Company. Clement , were built to carry ore from the company's mines in Minnesota and Michigan down to Buffalo. To get the coal to Buffalo, the Goodyear brothers incorporated the Buffalo & Susquehanna Railway in 1902 to build north from Wellsville to Buffalo, a total of almost 90 miles (140 km).
One of the best-known bond houses in Wall Street funded the bond. The Goodyear brothers created the.
Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Company. This new company was a joint venture between the Goodyears and William A. Rogers of Rogers, Brown & Company. In July 1903, the bond holders Fisk and Robinson stated that the 84-mile (135 km) extension to Buffalo would be completed by the summer of 1904 (the line was mostly completed in 1906), and that upon completion the line would be leased for 999 years for interest on the bonds and a 4% dividend. The regular 4 percent dividend was issued for the 1903 year.
Currently the coal from the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke Company's mines were using the. Connection at Keating Summit to get from the mines on the southern end of the line to the furnaces in Buffalo, since the extension to Buffalo was not complete yet.
The Goodyear brothers desperately wanted to control all of the transportation of the coal to their mines, so they needed to quickly finish the extension north to Buffalo. By this time, extensive terminals were acquired by the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railway in South Buffalo located on Lake Erie, right next to the furnaces of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Company.
Was jointly built and used by the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad, the. The Pennsylvania Railroad, and the. This giant canal allowed more than enough room for the steamships to bring in the iron ore from Michigan and Minnesota to be reduced to pig iron. The Goodyear brothers incorporated the.Buffalo and Susquehanna Terminal Railroad. To do the daily switching of the coal and ore trains around the blast furnaces, the four large modern steel elevators and the foundry.
With the opening of the mines on the southern part of the line, the need for cars and locomotives increased greatly. In 1907, it was reported that the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad owned. The line to Buffalo was almost completed in 1906 and linked the coal and timber lands of Pennsylvania to the ore ships of Goodyear's. The route that was finally chosen was: north out of Wellsville, down the Genesee River Valley to Belfast, then across the hills to Arcade. From Arcade the B&S went west to Springville, then north again down the Boston Valley to Buffalo.During construction, the B&S built their line south from Hamburg and the two lines met near the village of Boston. September 1906 saw regular service begin as far as Springville, as there was still plenty of work to do to get the line into Buffalo. The B&S ran no Pullman service, but offered a buffet and parlor car in operation between Buffalo & Galeton. It advertised as The Grand Scenic Route and offered patrons Sunday excursions including a popular one spent at Crystal Lake. The B&S had its right of way through the Erie County Fair Grounds and transported many Buffalonians and out of town fair goers to the Fair.
Although a great accomplishment at the time, there were already many established rail routes to get from North Central Pennsylvania to Buffalo. This new route was redundant, longer, inefficient with higher grades and switchbacks, and unnecessary. Although the line to Buffalo was technically completed by late 1906, there were still no passenger facilities. In February 1907, an arrangement was made with the. To use their tracks to facilitate regular Buffalo and Susquehanna passenger service to Buffalo starting on February 4, 1907.
An agreement was previously made with the. Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway.
To allow usage of their tracks, but it was noted that it would be quite some time before such a connection could be finished, so the Erie arrangement would allow passenger service to start almost immediately. With its northern and its southern extension now complete, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad now ran 250 miles (400 km) from Buffalo, NY to Sagamore, PA and had more than 400 miles (640 km) of track. Galeton, its center of operations, now had 4000 residents (1910 totals). Brothers formed a new railroad called the.
The Potato Creek railroad connected with the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad at Keating Summit, Pa and ran 14 miles (23 km) to Norwich, PA. The Goodyears had a large lumber mill at Norwich, PA, similar in operations as the mill at Cross Fork. In order to obtain the land to build the railroad, some of the properties needed to be condemned.This required that the Potato Creek Railroad be incorporated as a common carrier. In 1912, the Potato Creek line would get busier as the Pennsylvania Stave Company was moved from Cross Fork to Betula. The logs would get cut in Norwich, and transported to Betula for Stave making.
Cut wood would also be transported to the Keystone Chemical Company at Keystone. The final product of all of these industries would eventually make their way onto the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. Early on, coal and coke from the south end of the system generated considerable revenue, as did the operation of numerous tanneries along the line.
Including the one at Costello, PA which was reported at the time to be the largest in the world. Between 1905 and 1910 Brooks and Pittsburgh Brooks Locomotive Works.
Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works. Built forty-six 2-8-0s, numbered 123-168 to handle the increasing traffic from the coal heading to Buffalo. From 1901 to 1907, the Buffalo and Susquehanna had doubled in size as its main business shifted from hauling lumber to hauling coal and coke to Buffalo. The Goodyear brothers improved and upgraded the infrastructure, ordered many new cars and locomotives for the increased traffic.
They would never see any. Only a few months after the agreement to run the passenger trains on the Erie Railroad to get to Buffalo, Frank H. Goodyear died in May 1907. Once completed in 1907, the Buffalo & Susquehanna Railway (Buffalo to Wellsville) leased the Buffalo & Susquehanna Railroad (the rest of the system) for 999 years, and operated the whole as the Buffalo & Susquehanna Railway.Along with the B&S Railroad went the Addison and Susquehanna Railroad, extending from the state line to Addison, NY and the Wellsville Coudersport and Pine Creek Railroad, extending from the state line to Wellsville, NY. In early 1908, all the railroad unions from Chicago to New York were given notice that wages would be cut for most railroad workers on all lines in the Spring.
The Buffalo and Susquehanna was asking for a 10% reduction in salaries. Officials of the Switchman's Union declared that if salaries were reduced, the union would strike on the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad first. About this time, the long and very old mine spur to Gurnee was abandoned about 1910. This spur was around in 1884, when the line was still a part of the Addison and Northern Pennsylvania Railroad.It was 4.5 miles (7.2 km) long and went to a coal mine, and was near Davis Station on the line to Addison. In the end of the 1900s, the Government and the ICC were gaining power and were cracking down on companies and railroads. In the Spring of 1909, The Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad and the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal Mining Company were accused by the government of breaking Tariff Laws. The Railroad was indicted by a Federal Grand Jury for failure to observe tariff laws and granting concessions.
The coal company was indicted for accepting those concessions. While labor and the Unions were tightening their grip on one side of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad, and the Regulators and the ICC were tightening their grip on the other side of the line.
But the worst was yet to come. In December 1909, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Company was taken over by the Rogers-Brown Iron Co, who also now had partial ownership of the Powhatten Coal Company mines in Tyler and Sykesville. It is unclear exactly why this happened, as Rogers was a partner with Frank H. Goodyear in the original company.
With Frank now dead, it may just have been that Rogers bought out his ownership and then reorganized the firm. Fisk and Robinson was also the bond holders of the old iron company.Very shortly after, in February 1910, Fisk and Robinson, one of the best-known bond houses in Wall Street, and the company that financed the mortgage of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railway, admitted insolvency and filed for bankruptcy. On the same day as the Fisk and Robinson announcement, Buffalo and Susquehanna officials spoke out and declared the Buffalo and Susquehanna was in better financial condition than it had been in the last ten years. By now though, it was clear the line was in deep trouble and Frank Goodyear was no longer around to pull it out.
By the time the line reached Buffalo, the Hemlock lumber industry was beginning to peak. And logging production would start winding down, as many local forests had already been denuded. Both the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railway and the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad filed for bankruptcy. Miller had been president of another Goodyear family railroad, the.
And was familiar with the line. Ten more 2-8-0 locomotives had been previously ordered from Brooks, to be numbered 169-178, but were never delivered, as the order was canceled when the B&S went bankrupt in 1910. In Utah as engine #11, and ironically remains as one of only two Buffalo & Susquehanna steam engines in preservation. Also lost forever were the plans to upgrade and improve the line, as the road laid aside plans to extend its line to Pittsburgh and relocate its line to eliminate the four switchbacks over the mountains between Galeton and Wharton.
The unthinkable happened a few weeks after the bankruptcy, when the Great Lakes steamship. Most of the crew died, as only five survived.In late December 1910, H. Miller, receiver of the bankrupt Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad and Railway, told the committee of bondholders that a reorganization plan would not be finalized until at least spring 1911. He was quoted as stating that snow has so much interfered in past years with the operation of the line, that he is not in a position to make any satisfactory report on the earning power of the road until he has been in charge of the company for a period including the Winter months. Precautions were being taken to prevent the road from being closed during the snow, but he also noted that the equipment was in poor condition. After being sick for several months.
Died on April 16, 1911. To make matters worse for the profitability of the rail line, Austin, Pa, which was the Goodyears' center of logging operations in the area, was literally wiped off the map by a large flood on September 30, 1911. The town was all but destroyed by the collapse of a dam. 88 people died as a good part of the town washed down the Freeman Run. This flood, was one of the worst floods in Pennsylvania history, second only to the.In the early 1890s, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad built a branch line to a small area known as Cross Fork. Eventually, the Lackawanna Lumber Company owned a big mill in Cross Fork, and the town quickly grew and became a center of logging activity for the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. At its peak the town had about 2500 residents when the timber supply was exhausted and the Lackawanna mill closed in 1909. When the stave and heading mill closed in 1912, the population quickly fell from 2000 to 60. In 1913, the B&S ended passenger service and abandoned the line. Tracks were removed in 1914 from Cross Fork Junction to Cross Fork. The Buffalo extension was a burden, never realizing any earning potential. It is clear from the official reports that from the moment the extension opened it caused great deficits that continued to grow. Even when revenue and tonnage went up, the losses continued to grow. It was clear to all concerned that the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railway could not survive, that the line to Buffalo was a drain on resources, and that the entire operation had failed. This worked out fairly well for the old shareholders of the railroad.
The same would not be said for the shareholders of the railway. This sale included the line operating between Wellsville and Buffalo, consisting of about 90 miles (140 km) of trackage, several stations, and rolling stock. This transfer included three 2-8-0 engines.
The Wellsville and Buffalo Railroad leased the line back to the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Corporation. From July 1916 to November 1916, the Wellsville and Buffalo Railroad reported 492 passenger train movements, an average of over 3 trains per day. The bad news was that 56% of those trains were reported an average of 19 minutes late. As a comparison, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad only reported 33 percent of its passenger trains an average of only 8 minutes late. It is easy to see why the Wellsville and Buffalo Railroad could not last very long with these results.
They ran the line for less than a year, from December 15, 1915 to November 17, 1916. It would not matter much, though; by fall 1916, the losses prevented further operation, and the line was officially closed with final intent to salvage. Although the Wellsville and Buffalo Railroad was not running trains, the corporation would survive a bit longer. Recently formed from the foreclosed. Buffalo, Arcade and Attica Railroad.
Had received permission from the Public Service Commission, to run its trains on the former Buffalo and Susquehanna Railway in the village of Arcade for a distance of about 1.5 miles (2.4 km). The Arcade and Attica Railroad was authorized to acquire the property of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railway, and other structures and equipment, in the village of Arcade, and lease this property for seven and one half years from the Wellsville and Buffalo Railroad Corporation. The Public Service Commission also granted approval for the construction of the Nickel Plate Connecting Railroad to use the same rights as the former Wellsville and Buffalo Railroad in the village of Blasdell for certain road crossings. Also obtained some ex-Wellsville and Buffalo tracks near Crystal Lake.With the failed and profitless Wellsville to Buffalo extension now gone and no longer a burden on resources, the new Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Corporation had a good chance to prosper. In 1914 the Buffalo and Susquehanna was listed as having. In 1915, the Buffalo and Susquehanna was listed as having traffic Agreements with the. At Driftwood, Sinnemahoning, and Keating Summit. They also had a connection with the.
New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. What is surprising about this list is the fact that the.The Buffalo and Susquehanna had a lease agreement with the BR&P to run B&S trains on their tracks for 21 miles (34 km), from Sykesville to Juneu, to access the B&S mines at Sagamore, for 20 years. Its odd that there was no traffic agreement listed for them to interchange cars in that area. In 1917, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad dropped their traffic agreements with the. Buffalo, Attica and Arcade Railroad.
Since they no longer had a connection via the. Immediately after the reorganized Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Corporation dropped the Buffalo extension, it became very profitable once again. Dividends once again began to get issued, 4 percent in 1915, increasing to 5 percent in 1915. By 1918, the Buffalo and Susquehanna had applied to the Railroad Administration to issue a 7 percent dividend for the year.
Since the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad owned almost all of the stock and bonds of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke company, they would profit greatly from these holdings. Due to the demands of World War I, in 1918 the Sagamore and DuBois mines would now both be the number 1 ranked mines in tonnage, in their districts. This would rank the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke company as the 16th largest coal company in Pennsylvania.The railroad would get an estimated 35,000 (50 ton) coal cars to move. In the spring of 1918 an extremely heavy rainfall caused most of the waterways in the area to flood over their banks. A Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad passenger train, headed to Addison, slid into the. The cars came to a standstill in several feet of water, as several passengers were injured. Fortunately for all involved, the cars remained upright when they slid down the embankment. World War I would see the railroad controlled by the. As all railroads were, and by 1920, they were independent again, less the wear and tear.
The Transportation Act of 1920 initially had the Erie Railroad controlling the Buffalo and Susquehanna, but later revisions seem to have them allocated to the Baltimore and Ohio System. The Transportation Act also set the limits of excess earnings of railroads at 6%. In either case, nothing ever came of the planned consolidations, as the Buffalo and Susquehanna continued to operate independently and profitably, as no consolidations took place.
Dividends were again being issued in the early 1920s, as the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad continued to profit greatly from their coal investments. The Sagamore mines had reached their maximum production during World War I, and the coal boom continued into the early 1920s. By that point, roughly 1,600 men worked at Sagamore and the total population of the town reached about 3,000. Revenue was up greatly, and the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad would peak financially with a 10 percent dividend issued for the year 1920.On August 3, 1921, the Interstate Commerce Commission, complying with the Transportation Act of 1920, published a tentative plan for consolidation of railroad properties into a limited number of systems. The Buffalo and Susquehanna would fall into System 4, under the Erie Railroad. Consolidations of Railroads - System 4. New York, Susquehanna and Western Delaware and Hudson Delaware Lackawanna and Western Ulster and Delaware Buffalo and Susquehanna.
Wabash lines east of Missouri River. In 1920, the Goodyear's lumber mill in Norwich closed. Was owned by the Goodyears until about 1924 and then operated until 1928 by Keystone Chemical Company and then finally abandoned. The town of Norwich would follow the path of Cross Fork and essentially fade from history. The rest of the lumber mills in the area would follow along very shortly, as most of the forests had exhausted their supplies of wood by now.Although very profitable, in 1922, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad tried to significantly cut the pay of its Telegraph Operators. The President of the Order of Telegraph Operators claimed that the Train Master of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad traveled the entire line, telling operators that if they didn't accept the pay cuts, their stations would be closed. The General Manager of the Buffalo and Susquehanna had to appear in front of the Railroad Labor Board, and claimed that the board had no jurisdiction in the matter. The Buffalo and Susquehanna was listed as one of the Class 1 providers that did not return any of their excess earnings. Most other railroads denied the liability and contested the provisions of the act. In continued defiance of the Transportation Act of 1920, the Buffalo and Susquehanna declared an extra dividend of 2½% for the year ending 1923. As the 1920s unfolded, the bituminous and anthracite coal industries quickly collapsed. World War I had left the coal industry overly expanded. By the end of the 1920s, coal production had fallen 38 percent. There were too many suppliers producing too much coal.
In return, the coal mining companies began to cut wages and production. By this point, though, many companies just could not pay that, and broke their contracts with the UMWA, which would cause strikes, or worse. The Sagamore mines, as well as the coal mines in most of western Pennsylvania remained virtually closed for two years and the quality of life in Sagamore as well as in other nearby coal towns suffered a dramatic change. Very quickly, the union lost out completely and many men took their families to the cities.Union men who remained in Sagamore received notices of eviction from company houses. Later, Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke Company officials took stronger measures against more persistent activists; company police arrived and removed both furniture and people from their homes. Many small store owners in Sagamore soon declared bankruptcy as old customers disappeared, often leaving unpaid bills behind. Non-union miners, called "scabs" by residents of Sagamore, were brought in by the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal Company to occupy the evicted houses. Union men at Sagamore, among the last in District 2 to surrender their charter, retaliated by dynamiting company houses and singing spirited union songs as they paraded in front of the hotel. Within a year, however, despite these last-ditch efforts, most of the original settlers of Sagamore were gone. In the end, the non-union operations at the Sagamore mines of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke Company would cease, and the strikes would end, as the mine was officially closed on April 4, 1925.
This had a disastrous effect on the railroad. The coal traffic accounted for 2M of its 2.4M tons of traffic (1917). With these mine closings, the railroad just lost almost 80 percent of its traffic base.
Eventually, in 1927, the mines in Sagamore would open again, but without the union. Wages were half what they were in 1924, and production was very low.
The proposal from the Baltimore and Ohio was thought to be acting in advance of the Pennroad Corporation. The Pennroad Corporation is the company created to hold all the assents of the Pennsylvania Railroad, which was thought would also want the Buffalo and Susquehanna. By December 1929, the Baltimore and Ohio announced its intention to seek approval to create a new, shorter route, between Chicago and New York City. In January 1930, the B&O declared that if they got control of the Buffalo and Susquehanna and the.
They would need 73 miles (117 km) of new trackage. This new route would then save the B&O 203 miles (327 km) between Chicago and New York. Also with that approval came some resistance.Asked the Interstate Commerce Commission to disapprove the decision by the assistant finance director of the commission, declaring that acquisition of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad by the Baltimore Ohio was not in the public interest. By the spring of 1931 however, it was reported that the Baltimore and Ohio owned 98 percent of the stock of the. Company and about 99 percent of the stock of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. In November 1931, the unification of the. Company and the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad with the Baltimore and Ohio was finally approved by the Interstate Commerce Commission. The Baltimore and Ohio was attempting to assemble a short cut across northern Pennsylvania to get from Chicago to New York City. Would have been used to gain access to the Buffalo and Susquehanna at DuBois. The B&O would use the B&S tracks from DuBois to Sinnemehoning, where a new 73-mile (117 km) line would be built parallel to the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks, to connect to the Reading Railroad at Williamsport, PA. That the Baltimore and Ohio wanted to obtain the BR&P and B&S to get a route to NYC. A few years earlier, the BR&P already had a route to New York City. Made a contract with the. To secure an outlet for soft coal to tidewater (Atlantic Ocean ports, Philadelphia and New York). 26 miles from DuBois to Clearfield. In Clearfield they would get a connection to the. The Beech Creek had a connection with the Reading in the town of Williamsport, Pa.
The Reading went all the way to Philadelphia and New York City (via the Jersey Central). Since the shutdown of the mines in Sagamore, although now the Baltimore and Ohio was the only stockholder.In January 1932, the Baltimore and Ohio officially took over operations of the. The Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Corporation, as well as all the subsidiary lines, including ownership of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke Company. The Baltimore and Ohio received forty-four 2-8-0 locomotives. The Buffalo and Susquehanna still existed, on paper at least, as the B&O assumed all operations. The B&S 2-8-0 engines were renumbered into the B&O system, and some new ones would appear for passenger and express service. The B&O never really put much into the line, only supplying the line with minimal improvements and support. The new shorter B&O route across northern Pennsylvania was soon lost to antiquity, as the. Forced the Baltimore and Ohio to focus on other issues to stay profitable. In 1933, the new UMWA came back to Sagamore to unionize the mines, again. The union improved conditions for the Sagamore miners, but the town never fully recovered from the 1924 shutdown.
The Great Depression continued to make matters worse for everyone. Even with the mines open on limited production, the Great Depression affected everyone, and the small town of Sagamore continued to die off as more and more houses were vacant and getting torn down, some for firewood. The line from Keating Summit to Austin was abandoned by 1941. In the early morning of Friday, July 17, 1942 a severe rainstorm hovered over north-central Pennsylvania.
A state record was set, when 30.8 inches (780 mm) of rain was recorded at Smethport, PA in only 4.5 hours. This has become the state record, and the limit that all dams and waterways are now built to sustain. This deluge caused widespread flooding all over the areas.
Due to this stationary storm system, major flooding occurred in the Sinnemahoning and Wharton valleys. When the flooding receded, dozens of miles of former Buffalo and Susquehanna track was destroyed in and around Sinnemahoning and Wharton, and the line was out of service in those areas.By November 1942, the mortgage bond holders of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Corporation met to discuss a proposal to abandon and scrap a total of 53.6 miles (86.3 km) of track. The entire 9-mile (14 km) line southeast from Austin, through Costello to Wharton, and the entire 44.6 miles (71.8 km) of line southwest from Burrows, over the 4 switchbacks, all the way to Sinnemahoning, where the junction with the Pennsylvania Railroad would also be abandoned. This part of the system was very underutilized and unpopulated, and required too much work to cross, as it included the four switchbacks that added much delay to any traffic. The costs could never be justified to repair it. Since the lumber mills and industries closed in the 1920s, there was never much traffic on these lines anymore. The abandonment would pose some interesting questions for the B&O, though, since it would essentially separate the B&O ex-B&S line from Sagamore, up though DuBois to Sinnemahoning from the rest of the ex-B&S lines near Galeton. The remaining line from Keating Summit to Austin was already abandoned by this point. The B&O would now require the services of the PRR and the Erie to get access to the rest of the ex-Buffalo and Susquehanna lines.
Passenger service continued on the Addison to Galeton line, served by a fast Atlantic engine until 1947, when one of the older 2-8-0 engines had to take over until the end. Passenger service officially ended on November 19, 1949, due to the loss of its Railway Post Office. A brief revitalization occurred at Sagamore in 1943, when, because of the demand for coal brought about by. The R&P Coal Company leased the Sagamore mines #13 and #16 from the B&S.
But the demand wouldn't last long. The mines were permanently closed and abandoned in 1950. In the early 1950s, the.
Bought the mining plant, and in the 1950s the tipple was demolished. With the failed attempt to create a shorter route across northern Pennsylvania long gone, and with the mines now closed, the Baltimore and Ohio was looking to sell the disconnected part of the old Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. In 1954, the Baltimore and Ohio officially merged the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Corporation into the parent company, along with the. This was in anticipation of a sale of all or parts of the old B&S.Salzburg Company, who then created the. Included in the sale were six ex-B&S steam engines, four cabooses, one snowplow and numerous work cars. Continued in operation and served the remaining customers until being shut down in 1979. The line from Sinnemahoning southwest to Medix Run was terminated in 1955. Between 1962 and 1977, the section from the Sabula tunnel northeast to Medix Run was abandoned. When they built Route 80, a bridge was built over the B&S, and the line terminated just before the tunnel. By 1997, parts of the old B&S still exist and are used by CSX in and around DuBois, to just south of Route 80.
The item "BUFFALO & SUSQUEHANNA RAILROAD LANTERN KEYSTONE THE CASEY B&S RR 1902" is in sale since Friday, November 1, 2019. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Railroadiana & Trains\Hardware\Lanterns & Lamps". The seller is "railcarhobbies" and is located in Warsaw, Missouri. This item can be shipped worldwide.