This RARE vintage piece of Railroad History was made by HANDLAN for the DENVER & RIO GRANDE RAILROAD. The lantern is marked D.
LOUIS , PATENTED 4-13-09, last date 1-2-12. The clear glass barrel globe is embossed D & R G SAFETY FIRST , no cracks or chips. The brass burner is marked HANDLAN ST. And in good working order. The frame has one repair and had been painted black.Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. For the 1952 film, see. Denver and Rio Grande (film). Learn how and when to remove this template message. Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. Rio Grande , D&RG or D&RGW, formerly the. Denver & Rio Grande Railroad , was an. The railroad started as a. It served mainly as a. The Rio Grande was also a major origin of. The Rio Grande was the epitome of mountain railroading, with a motto of. Through the Rockies, not around them. Main line through the Rockies , both referring to the. The D&RGW operated the highest mainline rail line in the.
Over the 10,240 feet (3,120 m). In Colorado, and the famed routes through the. At its height in the mid-1880s, the D&RG had the largest. With 2,783 miles (4,479 km) of track interconnecting the states of Colorado.
Known for its independence, the D&RGW operated the. Until its discontinuation in 1983. This was the last private intercity. In the United States until Brightline now.
In 1988, the Rio Grande's parent corporation. And as the result of a merger, the larger Southern Pacific Railroad name was chosen for identity. The Rio Grande operated as a separate division of the Southern Pacific, until that company was acquired by the. Today, most former D&RGW main lines are owned and operated by the Union Pacific while several branch lines are now operated as.
Denver & Rio Grande Western. "Fast Freights" and the California Zephyr, 19501983. Montezuma , 1871, The first locomotive built for the Denver & Rio Grande. The Montezuma's design was used on the #4 locomotive at.Marsh, in addition to the four locomotives at. The Denver & Rio Grande Railway (D&RG) was incorporated on October 27, 1870 by General. It was originally announced that the new. Railroad would proceed south from.
And travel an estimated 875 miles (1,408 km) south to El Paso via Pueblo, westward along the Arkansas River, and continue southward through the. Closely assisted by his friend and new business partner. Palmer's new "Baby Road" laid the first rails out of Denver on July 28, 1871 and reached the location of the new town of. (then the Fountain Colony) by October 21. Was chosen in part because construction and equipment costs would be relatively more affordable when weighed against that of the prevailing.
Palmer's first hand impressions of the. In Wales buoyed his interest in the narrow-gauge concept which would prove to be advantageous while conquering the mountainous regions of the Southwest. Eventually the route of the D&RG would be amended (including a plan to continue south from Pueblo over Raton Pass) and added to as new opportunities and competition challenged the railroad's expanding goals.
Feverish, competitive construction plans provoked the. Over right of way with the. Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Both rivals hired gunslingers and bought politicians while courts intervened to bring settlement to the disagreements.
One anecdote of the conflict recounts June 1879 when the Santa Fe defended its roundhouse in. On that occasion, D&RG treasurer R.
Weitbrec paid the defenders to leave. In March 1880, a Boston Court granted the AT&SF the rights to Raton Pass, while the D&RG paid an exorbitant. 1.4 million for the trackage extending through the.
The D&RG's possession of this route allowed quick access to the booming mining district of. While this "Treaty of Boston". Did not exactly favor the purist of original D&RG intentions, the conquering of new mining settlements to the west and the future opportunity to expand into Utah was realized from this settlement. By late 1880 William Bell had begun to organize railway construction in Utah that would become the Palmer controlled. Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway.The intention of the D&RGW (aka the "Western") was to work eastward from Provo to an eventual link with westward bound D&RG in Colorado. This physical connection was realized near the.
On March 30, 1883, and by May of that year the D&RG formally leased its Utah subsidiary as previously planned. By mid-1883, financial difficulties due to aggressive growth and expenditures led to a shake up among the D&RG board of directors, and General Palmer resigned as president of the D&RG in August 1883, while retaining that position with the Western. Frederick Lovejoy would soon fill Palmer's vacated seat on the D&RG, the first in a succession of post Palmer presidents that would attempt to direct the railroad through future struggles and successes. Following bitter conflict with the Rio Grande Western during lease disagreements and continued financial struggles, the D&RG went into receivership in July 1884 with court appointed receiver William S.Eventual foreclosure and sale of the original. Denver & Rio Grande Railway. Resulted within two years and the new.
Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. Took formal control of the property and holdings on July 14, 1886 with Jackson appointed as president. General Palmer would continue as president of the Utah line until retirement (due to company re-organization) in 1901. The D&RG built west from Pueblo reaching. On May 20, 1880 and was pushed to Leadville later that same year.
From Salida, the D&RG pushed west over the. At the 10,845 feet (3,306 m). From Gunnison the line entered the. Scenic Line of the World.The tracks left the increasingly difficult canyon at. From Montrose, a line was laid north through. The line continued building west until reaching the D&RGW close to present day. Which completed a narrow-gauge transcontinental link with the. The line from Pueblo to Leadville was upgraded in 1887 to. To accommodate both narrow-gauge and. Narrow-gauge branch lines were constructed to. The route over Tennessee Pass had steep grades, and it was not uncommon to see trains running with midtrain and rear-end helpers. In 1997, a year after the D&RGW/SP merger with Union Pacific, the UP closed the line. Although it has been out of service for nearly two decades, the rails are still in usable condition, though many of the signals have been ravaged by time and vandals. In 2011, under a federal Beautification Grant, a private contractor removed and scrapped the railroad's overhead signal pole lines. Unlike other lines with open observation cars for non first class passengers, the D&RGW operated theirs for an additional 25 cent charge.
The cars were available during the summer months on both the Royal Gorge and the Black Canyon (Shavano) routes. The Royal Gorge , pictured on the 1960 timetable cover.
D&RGW's Royal Gorge at the bottom of the gorge with the suspension bridge above. The train in the shadow of Colorado's highest mountain, Mount Elbert.DRGW Alamosa Roundhouse, June 1967. The D&RG also pushed west from. (now "Old La Veta Pass") by 1877. At the time the'Uptop' depot on Veta Pass, rising over 9,500 feet (2,900 m) in elevation, boasted the highest elevation for a narrow-gauge railroad. From Alamosa, a line was pushed south through.
And west as far as. A line containing one of the longest tangent tracks in U.Railroading (52.82 miles or 85 kilometres) also linked Alamosa with. From Antonito a line was built over 10,015 feet (3,053 m). In August 1881 and continuing north to the rich mining areas around.
A line was also constructed in 1902 as a standard-gauge line, perhaps in anticipation of possible. Of the entire line, south from Durango, Colorado to. Originally hauling mainly agricultural products and serving as a deterrent to the Santa Fe building up from the south, the line was converted to narrow gauge in 1923. And later delivered pipe and other construction materials to the local oil and natural gas industry into the 1960s.The WalsenburgAlamosaAntonito line survives as the. San Luis and Rio Grande Railroad.
With passenger excursion trains service provided by the. The AntonitoChama line as the. Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. D&RGW train at Tennessee Pass, circa 1910s or 1920s.The D&RG built west from Leadville over 10,240 feet (3,120 m). In an attempt to reach the mining areas around.
Before its rival railroad in the area, the. Could build a line reaching there. The D&RG built a line through.
Reaching Aspen in October 1887. The D&RG then joined with the Colorado Midland to build a line from Glenwood Springs connecting with D&RG at Grand Junction. Originally considered a secondary branch route to Grand Junction, the entire route from Leadville to Grand Junction was upgraded to standard gauge in 1890, and the original narrow-gauge route via Marshall Pass became a secondary route.
The D&RGW Business Car 101, originally built as a. Was converted to a business car at the Burnham shop in 1929 and is now restored as the. The original Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway built a narrow-gauge line from. The railroad became the Rio Grande Western Railway in 1889 as part of a finance plan to upgrade the line from narrow gauge to standard gauge, and built several branch lines in Utah to reach lucrative coal fields.
It was the railway which. Employed to haul boxcars of relics from the. Colorado, cliff dwellings, in 1891, en route to the. In 1901, the Denver & Rio Grande merged with the Rio Grande Western, consolidating in 1908.However, the railroad was weakened by speculators, who had used the Rio Grande's equity to finance. (USRA) took over the D&RG during.
In 1918 the D&RG fell into receivership after the bankruptcy of Western Pacific. The Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad (D&RGW or DRGW) was incorporated in 1920, and formally emerged as the new re-organization of the old Denver & Rio Grande Railroad on July 31, 1921. A portion of a DRGW. Showing the Royal Gorge/Moffat Tunnel logo in 1943.
In 1931, the D&RGW acquired the Denver and Salt Lake Western Railroad, a. Denver and Salt Lake Railroad.
(D&SL) which had acquired the rights to build a 40-mile (64 km) connection between the two railroads. After years of negotiation, the D&RGW gained trackage rights on the D&SL from Denver to the new cutoff. In 1932, the D&RGW began construction of the. East of Glenwood Springs to near.
At a location called Orestod (Dotsero spelled backward). Construction was completed in 1934, giving. A direct transcontinental link to the west. The D&RGW slipped into bankruptcy again in 1935. Emerging in 1947, it merged with the D&SL on March 3, 1947, gaining control of the "Moffat Road" through the.And a branch line from Bond to. Rio Grande Industries logo, used 19481967.
Finally free from financial problems, the D&RGW now possessed a direct route from Denver to Salt Lake City (the detour south through Pueblo and Tennessee Pass was no longer required for direct service), but a problem still remained: for transcontinental service, the. S more northerly line was far less mountainous (and, as a result, several hours faster). This philosophy helps to explain why the D&RGW, despite its proximity to one of the nation's most productive.
By 1956, the D&RGW's standard-gauge steam locomotives had been retired and scrapped. The reason for this was that unlike steam locomotives, diesel locomotives could easily be combined, using the diesels. Capabilities, to equip each train with the optimum horsepower which was needed to meet the D&RGW's aggressive schedule.The California Zephyr pulled by D&RGW locomotives along the Colorado River in Western Colorado. The D&RGW's sense of its unique geographical challenge found expression in the form of the. A passenger train which was jointly operated with the.
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. (CB&Q) from Chicago to Denver, the D&RGW from Denver to Salt Lake City, and the. From Salt Lake City to.
California with ferry and bus connections to. Unable to compete with the Union Pacific's faster, less mountainous route and 39-hour schedules, the.
Offered a more leisurely journey a "rail cruise" with ample vistas of the Rockies. Ran at full capacity and turned a modest profit from its 1949 inception through the late 1950s, by the mid-1960s the train was profitable only during the late spring, summer, and fall. In 1970, Western Pacific, claiming multimillion-dollar losses, dropped out.However, the D&RGW refused to join the national. System, and continued to operate its share of the Zephyr equipment as the. Between Denver and Salt Lake City. By 1983, however, citing continued losses in revenue, the D&RGW decided to get out of the passenger business altogether and join Amtrak. With this move, Amtrak rerouted the. To the Moffat Road line and rebranded it as the current incarnation of the. Even as the D&RGW exploited the best new standard-gauge technology to compete with other transcontinental carriers, the railroad continued to operate the surviving steam-powered. Lines, including the famed narrow-gauge line between. Most of the remaining narrow-gauge trackage was abandoned in the 1950s and 1960s. Assumed operation of the line between.
Exactly one hundred years after the line went into operation. The company that controlled the D&RGW under the direction of. The D&RGW used Southern Pacific's name with SP due to its name recognition among shippers.A contributing factor was the rising cost of. A trend that set in after the. By the early 1990s, the combined Rio Grande/Southern Pacific system had lost much of the competitive advantage that made it attractive to transcontinental shippers, and became largely dependent on hauling the high-quality coal produced in the mine fields of Colorado and Utah. D&RGW locomotives retained their reporting marks and colors after the consolidation with the Southern Pacific and would do so until the Union Pacific merger. The one noticeable change was to Southern Pacific's "Bloody Nose" paint scheme. The serif font on the sides of the locomotives was replaced by the Rio Grande's "speed lettering", which was utilized on all SP locomotives built after the merger.
D&RGW 5384, patch-renumbered into UP 8637. Partly in response to the earlier merger of. Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway.As the Union Pacific absorbed the D&RGW into its system, signs of the fabled mountain railroad's existence are slowly fading away. D&RGW 5371, the only original D&RGW locomotive in full Rio Grande paint on the Union Pacific, was retired by UP in December, 2008.
As previously promised by UP, the D&RGW 5371 was donated to the Utah State Railroad Museum at Ogden's Union Station on August 17, 2009, and will reside in the Eccles Rail Center at the south end of the building. The museum is located at 25th Street and Wall Ave in Ogden, Utah.
Many other Rio Grande locomotives still run in service with Union Pacific, but have been "patch-renumbered, " with a patch applied over the locomotive's number and the number boards replaced. This method allows the locomotives to be numbered into the Union Pacific's roster but is cheaper than fully repainting the engine into UP Armour Yellow. In 2006, Union Pacific unveiled.Painted in a stylized version of the DRGW color scheme. This unit is one of several SD70ACe locomotives the UP has painted in stylized colors to help preserve the image of the railroads it has merged; the others are. Chicago and North Western Railway.
Denver & Rio Grande depot in. The following people served as presidents (or the equivalent) of the D&RGW and its predecessors. D&RGW passenger train at the.The F9 A&B diesel electric locomotives (1955) were used for the California Zephyrs and Rio Grande Zephyrs. California Zephyr headed by D&RGW locomotives passes through the Colorado Rockies in winter. D&RGW locomotive on the next to last run of the California Zephyr, March 21, 1970, at Salt Lake City. This is a partial list of D&RGW passenger trains. Westbound trains had odd numbers, while eastbound trains had even numbers. Many of the trains were named and renamed as well as being re-numbered. There are over 180 names on a complete list of all the railroad's named trains.
Denver-Grand Junction (via Royal Gorge). Colorado and New Mexico Express. 19402009 (operated by ANSCO after 1988), 2016present (operated by Amtrak). The Union Pacific acquired all D&RG owned assets at the time of the merger.The UP operates the former D&RGW main line as part of its. These include several presently operating. That trace their origins to the Denver & Rio Grande Western. Active rail assets tracing their heritage to the D&RGW that are not part of the Union Pacific network today include.
Formerly operated by the D&RGW, is still active, but today operated by. The Amtrak depots used for the California Zephyr in the cities of. Are the original depots built by the D&RGW. Sits next to the abandoned D&RGW depot.
Is a parallel track built alongside the former D&RGW main. Light rail system in Salt Lake City The southern half of this line uses the rebuilt right of way of an abandoned DRGW spur for the. Line in Salt Lake City that uses the rebuilt right-of-way of D&RG's former. Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.Is a remnant of the. (now isolated from the national rail network) that operates scenic trips over this route between. Which has been operating since 1881, provides scenic day trips from. Along an isolated remnant of the San Juan line. Provides scenic trips through the upper portion of.
The track was a branch of the D&RG main at Provo, but is today isolated from the national rail network. Is a heritage train on a still active branch of the former D&RG.
Operates over a 12-mile (19 km) portion of the intact, but otherwise disused Royal Gorge/Tennessee Pass line. D & RG Narrow Gauge Trestle. A trestle from the abandoned. The portion of the former D&RG main between Salt Lake City and.
Abandoned after the merger with the Union Pacific, is now a. Similarly, the portion of the. Is today a rail trail, which includes several tunnels.The largest collection of surviving. Equipment can be found at the. Although this museum focuses on the. Rather than the Rio Grande. Museums that focus on the D&RG include. Western Mining and Railroad Museum. Museums using former D&RG depots as buildings include. Denver and Rio Grande Depot (Montrose, Colorado).
Denver and Rio Grande Western Depot (Salt Lake City). The item "DENVER & RIO GRANDE RAILROAD LANTERN HANDLAN ST LOUIS D&RGRR 1909" is in sale since Sunday, December 29, 2019.This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Railroadiana & Trains\Hardware\Lanterns & Lamps". The seller is "railcarhobbies" and is located in Warsaw, Missouri. This item can be shipped worldwide.