NEW YORK CHICAGO & ST LOUIS RAILROAD. This is a RARE piece of Vintage Railroad History made by THE ADAMS & WESTLAKE COMPANY for the NEW YORK CHICAGO & ST LOUIS RAILROAD. The lantern is marked THE ADAMS & WESTLAKE COMPANY CHICAGO THE "ADAMS" N. 21, 1897 last date JAN.
The Corning clear glass globe is embossed N. Cnx K No cracks some small chips around the rims.
The Brass Burner is marked ADLAKE PAT'D APR. And is in good working condition. New York, Chicago and St. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. For the process of applying a nickel surface to a material, see Electroplating.
This article has multiple issues. Or discuss these issues on the talk page. Learn how and when to remove these template messages.
This article needs additional citations for verification. This article includes a list of general references. But it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. The New York, Chicago and St. L , was a railroad that operated in the mid-central United States.
Commonly referred to as the "Nickel Plate Road" , the railroad served a large area, including trackage in the states of New York. Its primary connections included Buffalo. The Nickel Plate Railroad was constructed in 1881 along the South Shore of the Great Lakes. To compete with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway.
In 1964 the Nickel Plate Road and several other mid-western carriers were merged into the larger Norfolk and Western Railway. The goal of the N&W expansion was to form a more competitive and successful system serving 14 states and the Canadian province. On more than 7,000 miles (11,000 km) of railroad. The profitable N&W was itself combined with the Southern Railway. Another profitable carrier, to form Norfolk Southern Corporation.
At the end of 1960, NKP operated 2,170 miles (3,490 km) of road on 4,009 miles (6,452 km) of track, not including the 25 miles (40 km) of Lorain & West Virginia. The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern era. NKP president John Bernet era. The War and Post-War era. The end of an era: merger with N&W, Norfolk Southern.
Origin of the Nickel Plate nickname. Louis Railroad train crossing Black River. During the 25 years that followed the American Civil War.
Railway track mileage in the United States more than doubled, changing the face of America forever. This allowed for an economy of scale - larger, more efficient factories. The agricultural heartland of America was no longer confined to a market of single day's trip by wagon. Railroad and railroad construction became one of the largest industries during that era.By 1881 one out of 32 people in the United States was either employed by a railroad or engaged in railroad construction. Starting about 1877, two great railroad developers, William H. Began competing for the railroad traffic along the south shore of the Great Lakes.
By 1878 William Vanderbilt had a monopoly on rail traffic between Buffalo, New York. Because he owned the only railroad linking those cities - the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. In addition, he was the richest man in America at that time.
By 1881 Jay Gould controlled about 15% of all U. Railroad mileage, most of it west of the Mississippi River.
And he was considered the most ruthless financial operator in America. Gould's major railroad east of the Mississippi River was the 335-mile (539 km) Wabash, St. The Wabash mainline ran from St. Where it was forced to deliver its railroad traffic to William H.Jay Gould and William Vanderbilt together oversaw all east-west rail traffic in the mid-west. Owners of a 350-mile (560 km) railroad, the Lake Erie and Western Railroad. Were interested in tapping new sources of revenue. The stage was set for the creation of the New York, Chicago and St. The Seney Syndicate, headed by banker George I. Met at Seney's New York City. Bank and organized the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company on February 3, 1881. The original proposal for the NYC&StL was a 340-mile (550 km) railroad west from Cleveland, Ohio, to Chicago, Illinois, with a 325-mile (523 km) branch to St.
On April 13, 1881, the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company bought the Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway. A railroad that had been surveyed from the west side of Cleveland, Ohio to Buffalo, New York running parallel to William Vanderbilt's. Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. The idea of an east-west railroad across northern Ohio.Was very popular with the people of Ohio. No one was less popular in Ohio than William Vanderbilt since the December 29, 1876, collapse of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway's Ashtabula River trestle. Where 64 people had been injured and 92 were killed or died later from injuries. Another reason for the popularity of the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railway was the positive economic impact on cities that any new railroad went through at that time. During a newspaper war to attract the NYC&St. Chronicle Newspaper referred to it as a...
The railroad adopted the nickname and it became better known as the Nickel Plate Road. It was decided that building would start along the surveyed route between Cleveland, Ohio and Buffalo, New York rather than build the branch to St. Five hundred days later the Nickel Plate's 513-mile (826 km) single-track mainline from Buffalo, New York to Chicago was complete. The railroad was estimated to require 90,000 long tons (80,000 metric tons) of steel rails, each weighing 60 pounds per linear yard (30 kg/m) and 1.5 million oak crossties. Additionally, the railroad required 49 major bridges.
It was characterized by long sections of straight track, mild grades, and impressive bridges. The Nickel Plate ran its first trains over the entire system on October 16, 1882. During construction, Vanderbilt and Gould had watched with great interest. If either of them could acquire the Nickel Plate, they could end the threat to their railroads. If the Nickel Plate remained independent it would be able to create a substantial dent in both entrepreneurs' railroad earnings.
Vanderbilt tried to lower the value of the Nickel Plate by organizing a campaign to smear its reputation before a train ever ran on its tracks. However, Vanderbilt's plan came with two important risks. If he slandered the line, he risked chasing the Seney Syndicate into an alliance with Gould.The other risk was that his plan to smear the Nickel Plate's reputation might fail and it could quickly grow. Vanderbilt claimed the road was being built with substandard materials and it would use unsafe practices once completed. He succeeded in creating long-standing rumors about the line but failed to devalue the company or scare the investors. Frustrated at the failing talks, Gould broke off negotiations and gave up on his attempt to break Vanderbilt. He realized if he allowed Jay Gould to gain control of the Nickel Plate his monopoly on rail traffic from Toledo, Ohio. He decided he would do anything to keep the Nickel Plate out of Gould's hands. Vanderbilt transferred it to his Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. So, the Nickel Plate Road did business, but just enough to keep it solvent.
During the same period Vanderbilt's Lake Shore and Michigan Southern prospered and expanded. Vanderbilt kept most of the rail traffic on his Lake Shore and Michigan Southern.Fewer trains on the Nickel Plate meant that they could move faster, so that is the railroad traffic they went after. By 1888 the Nickel Plate had been dubbed The Meat Express Line. Observers at Fort Wayne, Indiana. Reported six long meat trains every night and a couple of fruit trains during the day.
Vanderbilt consolidated many of his railroads into the New York Central Railroad. Over time, the Nickel Plate was reduced as a serious threat to the New York Central and other competing lines. Were the next owners of the Nickel Plate. And his younger brother Mantis James Van Sweringen.Were real estate developers who constructed a rapid transit line from their development at Shaker Heights, Ohio. As early as 1909 the Van Sweringen brothers. Proposed a stub-end terminal on Public Square in downtown Cleveland.
The Cleveland interurbans and traction companies were in favor of the new terminal and right-of-ways leading to it. The Nickel Plate was the key. It traversed Cleveland from east to west, had a high level crossing of the Cuyahoga River Valley. And it was adjacent to the proposed terminal.The Nickel Plate also provided a natural route to the proposed terminal for the Van Sweringen's rapid transit and the other traction lines. Between 1890 and 1913 Cleveland had a fourfold increase in population. Civic and political leaders wanted to clean up the city and started many projects. One was a desire to consolidate all of Cleveland's railroad stations. The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. And the Big Four Railroad. Shared a crowded lakefront Union Station.
Nickel Plate Road, and the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad. All occupied separate stations on the north bluff of the Cuyahoga River, just south of downtown. The city also encouraged the railroads to build grade separation throughout the city. The Nickel Plate started a grade separation project on the East Side of Cleveland in 1909 and finished in 1913. Cleveland approved a bond issue in 1910 to "depress" the Nickel Plate through the most congested part of the West Side.
The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway was controlled by the New York Central Railroad's Alfred Holland Smith. A close friend of the Van Sweringens. He had guided the Van Sweringens and even financed their rapid transit to Shaker Heights. In late 1915, the Attorney General of the United States. Advised the New York Central that its control of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern and the Nickel Plate was in violation of the Federal antitrust laws.Alfred Smith called his friends, the Van Sweringens on February 1, 1916 and offered them the Nickel Plate. The Van Sweringens had no intention of running the Nickel Plate. Alfred Smith was happy to give the Van Sweringens a vice-president of the New York Central, John J. And some of his top men. During Bernet's reign, the Nickel Plate grew substantially. Giving it access to Sandusky, Ohio. Also known as the "Clover Leaf Route", finally giving the Nickel Plate access to the St. As well as to the port in Toledo, Ohio.
Bernet left the Nickel Plate in late 1926. In 1934, Bernet ordered 15 Berkshire. Locomotives, which would become legendary with the Nickel Plate. Bernet remained as the president of the company until his death in 1935.
On December 29, 1937, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. Gained control of the Nickel Plate. One major factor was Frank Allen Brown who was the assistant superintendent at this time. Brown held this position from 1937 to 1944. The Nickel Plate, like all other American railroads, found itself helping with the war effort.
The Nickel Plate ordered an additional 55 Berkshires during the war. That year, the Nickel Plate also ordered 11 ALCO PA.Diesel-electric locomotives, named the Bluebirds. These were the first locomotives for the Nickel Plate that were not painted black since the early 1900s. In 1949, the Nickel Plate received its last Berkshire, #779. Also the last steam locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works. Later that year, on December 1, the Nickel Plate leased the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway. In 1960, the last steam locomotive was retired from service, officially "dieselizing" the Nickel Plate. The Nickel Plate had a few long distance night trains, whose names varied according to whether the train was west-bound or eastbound. The trains linked at Lackawanna Station. In Buffalo to continue to Hoboken, New Jersey. 7 Westerner (westbound) / No. 8 New Yorker (eastbound) (Chicago-Cleveland-Buffalo). 9 Blue Arrow (westbound) / No. 10 Blue Dart (eastbound) St.
Nickel Plate train number 5, City of Chicago at Englewood Union Station on April 21, 1965. As the financial situation of American railroading continued to decline after World War II, the Nickel Plate Road together with the Wabash. And several smaller carriers merged with the profitable Norfolk and Western. (N&W) on October 16, 1964. N&W had merged with long-time rival Virginian Railway.
In the Pocahontas coal region in 1959, and grew through the mergers with other rail carriers including the Nickel Plate and Wabash railroads with operations in adjacent areas of the eastern United States to form a more competitive and successful system serving 14 states and a province of Canada. On more than 7,000 miles (11,000 km) of road. Was itself combined with the Southern Railway.By 1897 the Nickel Plate had obtained trackage rights. Over the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. On the east side of the LS&MS line to LaSalle Street Station. Just north of 12th Street now Roosevelt Road. By 1928 it used LaSalle. The following is an excerpt from the book The Nickel Plate Road, A Short History of the New York, Chicago & St. The book is a record of an address given by Lynne L. (a former president of the Nickel Plate) to the Newcomen Society of the United States. Held in the ballroom of the Hotel Lawrence, Erie, Pa.
White was guest of honor at this "1954 Lake Erie Dinner". Through northern Ohio, already served by four railroads, location of the line developed intense rivalries among cities.
Three routes were surveyed and communities along each proposed route vied in the raising of public subscriptions to donate rights-of-way. The road's general offices at Cleveland frequently were besieged by delegations hoping to bring about the routing of the line through their communities. During these inter-city rivalries was born the nickname for the New York, Chicago and St. Louis - The Nickel Plate Road - which rapidly became the name most commonly used. Numerous legends have grown about when and how the name "Nickel Plate" was first applied.
The accepted version is that it appeared first in an article in the Norwalk, Ohio, Chronicle of March 10, 1881. On that date the Chronicle reported the arrival of a party of engineers to make a survey for the great New York and St.
Louis double track, nickel plated railroad. Later, while attempting to induce the company to build the line through Norwalk instead of Bellevue, Ohio, the Chronicle again referred to the road as "nickel plated" - a term regarded as indicative of the project's glittering prospects and substantial financial backing. In 1882, the Nickel Plate recognized F.
Loomis, owner and editor of the Norwalk Chronicle , as originator of the term and issued him Complimentary Pass No. Thus Norwalk named the road - but Bellevue finally got it. To continue the tradition and preserve the history and name of the Nickel Plate Road, on Oct. 1, 2015, HGR Industrial Surplus, current owner of the former General Motors Fisher Auto Body site in Euclid, Ohio, on the Nickel Plate Road line dedicated its site as Nickel Plate Station. The item "NEW YORK CHICAGO & ST LOUIS RAILROAD LANTERN A&W CO.
THE ADAMS NYC&StLRR 1897" is in sale since Monday, June 14, 2021. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Railroadiana & Trains\Hardware\Lanterns & Lamps".
The seller is "railcarhobbies" and is located in Warsaw, Missouri. This item can be shipped worldwide.