This is a nice piece of Vintage Railroad History made by THE ADAMS & WESTLAKE CO. For the NORFOLK & WESTERN RAILWAY. This lantern is marked ADLAKE KERO N&W RY.
ADLAKE - KERO 1-63 PATENTED. The Kopp DEEP RED glass globe is embossed K in a circle.
No cracks, some small flea chips around rims. Burner is marked ADLAKE 300 and is in good working condition. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This article is about the former US. For the indie folk rock band, see.
Learn how and when to remove this template message. After the 1960s mergers, also. 1956: 2,132 miles (3,431 kilometres);1970: 7,595 miles (12,223 kilometres). Norfolk and Western magazine ad with system map, 1948.
Formed by more than 200 railroad mergers between 1838 and 1982. For most of its existence. Its motto was "Precision Transportation"; it had a variety of nicknames, including "King Coal" and "British Railway of America" even though the N&W had mostly articulated steam on its roster. During the Civil War, the N&W was the biggest railroad in the south and moved most of the products with their steam locomotives to help the South the best way they could.
The N&W was famous for manufacturing its own. Which were built at the. As well as its own.In 1960, N&W became the last major class 1 railroad to end steam but didn't retire its last remaining Y class 2-8-8-2s until 1964 and 1965. By 1965, steam on class I railroads was gone but steam wasn't gone on class II railroads until 1974 and class III and mining railroads did not retire their steam locomotives from their active roster until 1983.
By 1983, steam in America on class I, II, III, and mining railroads had finally closed the chapter on America's 150 years of steam from 1830 - 1983. In December 1959, NW merged with the. (reporting mark VGN), a longtime rival in the Pocahontas coal region. By 1970, other mergers with the.Formed a system that operated 7,595 miles (12,223 km) of road on 14,881 miles (23,949 km) of track from North Carolina to New York and from Virginia to Iowa. In 1980, NW teamed up with the. Another profitable carrier and created the.
By merging its business operations with the business operations of the Southern Railway. The NW and the Southern Railway continued as separate railroads now under one holding company. On December 31, 1990, the Southern Railway was renamed "Norfolk Southern Railway" to reflect the Norfolk Southern Corporation and on the same day, the renamed Norfolk Southern Railway gained full control of the Norfolk and Western Railway with the Norfolk and Western being transferred from the holding company to the renamed Norfolk Southern Railway, this began the final years of Norfolk and Western which was absorbed into the renamed Norfolk Southern Railway seven years later in 1997 (1990 to 1997 the Norfolk and Western continued operating by using paper operations). Norfolk Southern Corporation's principal railroad, the renamed Norfolk Southern Railway, absorbed the Norfolk and Western Railway into their rail system, ending the existence of the Norfolk and Western Railway and having the renamed Norfolk Southern Railway becoming the only railroad in the entire Norfolk Southern system after that.
City Point, Southside and Virginia and Tennessee railroads. Beginning as the Atlantic, Mississippi & Ohio Railroad. Name change to Norfolk and Western. World Wars, Great Depression, and efficiencies.
Becoming part of the Norfolk Southern Corporation. Steam locomotive types on the Norfolk and Western. Leaders of the Norfolk and Western. NW's earliest predecessor was the. (CPRR), a 9-mile (14 km).
Formed in 1838 to extend from. Now part of the independent city of.
, a port on the tidal. In 1854, CPRR became part of the.James River and Kanawha Canal. 95, an 1847 engineering graduate of the. (N&P) and eventually became its president in the pre-Civil War era.
Construction of N&P began in 1853. Mahone's innovative corduroy roadbed through the. Employed a log foundation laid at right angles beneath the surface of the swamp.
It is still in use 150 years later and it withstands immense tonnages of coal traffic. Isle of Wight County, Virginia.1853, a Virginia state treasurer. That Otelia and William Mahone traveled along the newly completed N&P naming stations along the 52-mile (84 km).
Ivanhoe , a book she was reading by. From Scott's historical Scottish novels, Otelia chose the place names of. She tapped the Scottish Clan "McIvor" for the name of.When they could not agree, it is said that the young couple invented a new word in honor of their "dispute", which is how the tiny community of. The N&P was completed in 1858. Of small stature, dynamic "Little Billy" Mahone became a major general in the. He was widely regarded as the hero of the.
Otelia Mahone served as a. In the Confederate capital of. The N&P was severed by the war. The portion east of the.
Was held by the Union for most of the war. The eastern portion of the City Point Railroad played a crucial role for Union General. During the Siege of Petersburg, and was operated by the. The South Side Railroad was also heavily damaged.
William and Otelia Mahone were illustrious characters in post-bellum Virginia. Mahone got quickly to work restoring "his" N&P, and resumed his dream of linking the three trunk lines across the southern tier of Virginia to reach points to the west. He became president of all three, and drove the 1870 merger of N&P. Atlantic, Mississippi and Ohio Railroad. The Mahones moved to the headquarters city of.
To Kentucky, but was never built. After several years of operating under receiverships, Mahone's role as a railroad builder ended in 1881 when northern financial interests took control. A private banking firm in. With ties to the large. The PRR was seeking a southern connection for its.
(SVRR), which was then under construction up the valley from the. Share of the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company, issued October 22, 1885. George Frederick Tyler became president. A civil engineer and partner in.
Henry Fink, whom Mahone had hired in 1855, became Second Vice President and General Superintendent. Kimball and his board of directors selected Big Lick, a small Virginia village on the. To be the junction of SVRR and NW.
Big Lick was later renamed. At its founding, NW primarily transported agricultural products. Kimball, who had a strong interest in. Led the railroad's efforts to open the Pocahontas.
In mid-1881, NW acquired the franchises to four other lines: the New River Railroad, the New River Railroad, Mining and Manufacturing Company, the Bluestone Railroad, and the East River Railroad. Consolidated into the New River Railroad Company, with Kimball as president, these railroads became the basis for NW's New River Division, which was soon built from.(near East Radford) up the west bank of the. To the mouth of the East River near.
From there, the new line ran up the East River, crossing the Virginia-West Virginia border several times to reach the coalfields to the west near the. Coal transported to Norfolk soon became NW's primary commodity, and led to great wealth and profitability. Kimball served as NW president from 1883 to 1895.Under his leadership, NW continued expansion westward with its lines through the wilderness of. With the Ohio Extension, eventually extending north across the. By the Scioto Valley Railroad. Acquisition of other lines, including the. Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Virginia Railroad. (CP&V) (which it had long supported and leased) extended the NW system west along the Ohio River to.
And south from Roanoke to. By the time Kimball died in 1903, the railroad had attained the basic structure it would use for more than 60 years.
In 1885, several small mining companies representing about 400,000 acres 1,600 km. Reserves grouped together to form the coalfields' largest landowner, the Philadelphia-based Flat-Top Coal Land Association.NW bought the association and reorganized it as the Pocahontas Coal and Coke Company (PCCC). The PCCC was later renamed the Pocahontas Land Corporation (PLC) and is now a subsidiary of NS. Aerial view of Lambert Point Coal Pier showing part of storage yard, Norfolk, VA. As the availability and fame of high-quality Pocahontas. Increased, economic forces took over.
Coal operators and their employees settled dozens of towns in southern. And in the next few years, as coal demand swelled, some of them amassed fortunes.
The countryside was soon sprinkled with tipples, coke ovens, houses for workers, company stores and churches. In the four decades before the. One example was the small community of. Which in its heyday boasted the highest per capita concentration of millionaires in the country.In 1886, the NW tracks were extended directly to. Just north of the City of Norfolk on the. Where one of the busiest. Export facilities in the world was built to reach. A residential section was also developed to house the families of the workers. Many early residents of Lambert's Point were involved in the coal industry. The opening of the coalfields made NW prosperous and Pocahontas coal world-famous. By 1900, Norfolk was the leading coal exporting port on the East Coast. Transported by NW, and later the neighboring VGN, it fueled half the world's navies and today stokes steel mills and power plants all over the globe. The company was famous for building its own. A practice rare outside Britain (where most railways either built their own locomotives or had outside contractors build locomotives to their designs). The locomotives were built at the. The Shops employed thousands of craftsmen, who refined their products over the years. The A, J, and Y6 locomotives, designed, built and maintained by NW personnel, brought the company industry-wide fame for its excellence in steam power.
NW's commitment to steam power was due in part to its investment in the manufacturing capacity and. To build and operate steam locomotives, and partially due to the major commodity it hauled, coal.
In 1960, NW became the last major railroad in the United States to abandon steam locomotives for. Today, the Roanoke Shops continue to build and repair rolling stock. An electric Norfolk and Western train hauling coal during World War I. And paid regular dividends throughout the Depression. NW was jointly operated with VGN under the.
S wartime takeover of the Pocahontas Roads. (ICC) turned down attempts at combining the roads until the late 1950s, when a proposed NW-VGN merger was finally approved. N&W timetable for a division in Virginia, 1918. NW also operated safely in this time, being the recipient of the Gold.
In a promotional booklet published in 1939, NW wrote For the second time in 12 years, the American Museum of Safety has awarded the Harriman Memorial Gold Medal to the Norfolk & Western Railway for the outstanding safety record during 1938 among class I railroads of the United States. It is further noted that the railway carried one million passengers more than 86,000,000 miles (138,000,000 km) without incident in the period from 1924 to 1938. At the end of 1925, NW operated 2,241 miles (3,607 km) of route on 4,429 miles (7,128 km) track; at the end of 1956 NW operated 2,132 miles (3,431 km) of route on 4,759 miles (7,659 km) of track. VGN was conceived and built by.
Page had helped engineer and build the. (C&O) through the mountains of. And Rogers had already become a millionaire and a principal of. Before their partnership was formed early in the 20th century. Initially, their project was an 80-mile (130 km)-long.
After failing to establish favorable rates to interchange coal traffic with the big railroads (who shut them out through collusion), the project expanded. In the early stages, and the bigger railroads did not take Page seriously.
However, the partners planned and then built a "Mountains to Sea" railroad from the coal fields of southern West Virginia to port near. They accomplished this right under the noses of the pre-existing and much bigger C&O and NW railroads and their leaders by forming two small intrastate railroads. Once right-of-way and land acquisitions had been secured, the two small railroads were merged in 1907 to form the Virginian Railway. Spoke at VGN's dedication in Norfolk, Virginia, only 6 weeks before Rogers died in May 1909 after his only inspection trip on the newly completed railroad.
Made a whistle-stop speaking tour on VGN, traveling in Rogers' private car. And later revealing that Rogers had been instrumental in funding many small country schools and institutions of higher education in the South for the betterment of Negroes. VGN operated over more modern alignments than C&O and NW, and its track was built to the highest standards.
It provided major competition for coal traffic to C&O and NW. The 600-mile (970 km) VGN followed Rogers' philosophy throughout its profitable history, earning the nickname Richest Little Railroad in the World. It operated some of the largest and most powerful steam, electric, and diesel locomotives. It shared electrical resources with N&W from 1925 to 1950, when NW discontinued its. Section through the Elkhorn Tunnel and.
The VGN track was de-electrified in 1962, after the NW-VGN merger. N&W system map, around 1975. In 1955, the N&W operated in North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, and Ohio.(ICC) approved VGN's 1959 merger into NW, it heralded a merger movement and a modernization of the entire U. Pittsburgh and West Virginia Railway. Akron, Canton and Youngstown Railroad. Were brought into the system in one of the most complex mergers of the era. This consolidation, plus the 1976 addition of a more direct route to. Made NW an important Midwestern railroad that provided direct single-line service between the Atlantic Ocean and the. In the late 1960s, NW acquired Dereco, a. Dereco's troubled railroads were not merged into NW; EL eventually joined. And is now part of Canadian Pacific. In 1970, the N&W operated in North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa. On September 1, 1981, NW acquired. NW was also a major investor in. By 1996, N&W ran most of the Midwest and Eastern states. Many N&W lines by 1998 were abandoned and some of them were never used again.
However, the Norfolk to Bluefield line still exists but traffic has slowed because of its 12-mile 1.2% grade. (CN) introduced a group of innovative bi-level. These autoracks had end doors and were very large by the standards of the time; at 75 feet (23 m) long, each autorack could carry 8 completed automobiles.
These autoracks were a big success and helped lead to the development of today's fully enclosed autoracks. Tri-level autoracks were developed in the 1970s. During the 1960s, autoracks took over rail transportation of newly completed automobiles in North America. They carried more cars in the same space and were easier to load and unload than the. Ever-larger auto carriers and specialized terminals were developed by NW and other railroads.The railroads were able to provide lower costs and greater protection from in-transit damage, such as that which may occur due to vandalism or weather and traffic conditions on unenclosed truck trailers. Using the autoracks, the railroads became the primary long-distance transporter of completed automobiles, one of few commodities where the industry has been able to overcome trucking in competition. In 1980, the profitable NW teamed up with the. Another profitable company, to form the. And it paved the way for today's. (formerly the Southern Railway) and compete more effectively with.
Itself a combination of smaller railroads in the eastern half of the United States. Today, former NW trackage remains a vital portion of the Norfolk Southern Railway, a.
The headquarters of the Norfolk Southern Railway and the parent Norfolk Southern Corporation are near the coal piers at. The item "NORFOLK & WESTERN RAILWAY LANTERN ADLAKE KERO N&W RY 1963" is in sale since Saturday, October 3, 2020. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Railroadiana & Trains\Hardware\Lanterns & Lamps". The seller is "railcarhobbies" and is located in Warsaw, Missouri.
This item can be shipped worldwide.