This is a rare vintage piece of Railroad History made by THE ADAMS and WESTLAKE CO. For the PHILADELPHIA & READING RAILROAD. This lantern is marked THE "ADAMS" THE ADAMS & WESTLAKE COMPANY CHICAGO P. PATENTED date is JUNE 8, 1886, last NOV. The brass burner is marked F.
And the twist-off fuel pot are both in good working condition. The clear glass globe is embossed P & R Ry , no cracks, some small flea chips around rim.From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Reading Railroad system map, 1923. 1,460 miles (2,350 kilometres). The Reading Company pronounced Reading.
As Reading Lines operated an important railroad. Commonly called the Reading Railroad , it was a successor to the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Company founded in 1833. Until the decline in anthracite.
Loadings in the Coal Region. It was one of the most prosperous corporations in the United States. Competition with the modern highway. Compounded the company's problems, forcing it into bankruptcy in the 1970s.
Its railroad operations were merged into Conrail. In 1976, but the corporation lasted into 2000, disposing of valuable real estate holdings. Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road: 1833?
Philadelphia and Reading Railway: 1896? Original Philadelphia & Reading logo. The Philadelphia and Reading Railroad (P&R) was one of the first railroads in the United States. Along with the Little Schuylkill. A horse-drawn railroad in the Schuylkill River.Valley, it formed the earliest components of what became the Reading Company. Primarily, the P&R was constructed to haul anthracite.
From the mines in northeastern Pennsylvania's Coal Region. Philadelphia and Reading Railroad daily passenger train time table, 1854.
The original P&R mainline extended south from the mining town of Pottsville. And then onward to Philadelphia, following the gently graded banks of the Schuylkill River for nearly all of the 93-mile journey.The P&R mainline had the distinction of being, upon its 1843 completion, the first double track. The P&R became profitable almost immediately. Energy-dense coal had been replacing increasingly scarce wood. As fuel in businesses and homes since the 1810s, and P&R-delivered coal was one of the first alternatives to the near-monopoly held by Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company. Soon the P&R bought or leased many of the railroads in the Schuylkill River Valley and extended westward and north along the Susquehanna into the southern end of the Northern Pennsylvania Coal Region.
In Philadelphia, the Reading also built Port Richmond. The self-proclaimed "Largest privately owned railroad tidewater terminal in the world".
Which burnished the P&R's bottom lines by allowing coal to be loaded onto ships and barges for export. In 1871, the Reading established a subsidiary called the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company. Gave the P&R almost full control of coal. From mining through to market, allowing it to compete successfully with like-organized competitors such as Lehigh Coal & Navigation and the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company. The heavy investment in coal paid off quickly.170,000,000 in gross value. And may have been the first conglomerate. In 1879, the Reading gained control of the North Pennsylvania Railroad. And gained access to the burgeoning steel industry.
The Reading further expanded its coal empire by reaching New York City. By gaining control of the Delaware and Bound Brook Railroad. In 1879, and building the Port Reading Railroad. In 1892 with a line from Port Reading Junction.And New York City by rail and barge instead of the longer trip by ships from Port Richmond around Cape May. Instead of broadening its rail network, the Reading invested its vast wealth in anthracite and its transport in the mid-19th century. This led to financial trouble in the 1870s. In 1890, Reading president Archibald A. Saw that more riches could be earned by expanding its rail network and becoming a trunk railroad. McLeod went about trying to control neighboring railroads. He was able to gain control of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Central Railroad of New Jersey. And the Boston and Maine Railroad. The Reading almost achieved its goal of becoming a trunk road, but the deal was scuttled by J. And other rail barons, who did not want more competition in the northeastern. The Reading was relegated to a regional railroad for the rest of its history. The Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road was chartered April 4, 1833, to build a line between Philadelphia and Reading.
The portion from Reading to Norristown. Opened July 16, 1838, the full line December 9, 1839. Its Philadelphia terminus was at the state-owned Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad. (P&C) on the west side of the Schuylkill River, from which it ran east on the P&C over the Columbia Bridge.
And onto the city-owned City Railroad. To a depot at the southeast corner of Broad.Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road route map (1873). An extension northwest from Reading to Mount Carbon. Also on the Schuylkill River, opened on January 13, 1842, allowing the railroad to compete with the Schuylkill Canal. At Mount Carbon, it connected with the earlier Mount Carbon Railroad. To several mines, and would eventually be extended to Williamsport. To Port Richmond on the Delaware River. North of downtown Philadelphia opened. Port Richmond later became a very large coal terminal. On January 1, 1851, the Belmont Plane. Was chartered in 1836 to build from Reading west to Harrisburg. Reading financed the construction of the Rutherford Yard. To compete with the PRR's nearby Enola Yard. The Reading took it over and began construction in 1854, opening the line in 1856. This gave the Reading a route from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, for the first time competing directly with the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Which became its major rival. In 1859 the Reading leased the Chester Valley Railroad. Providing a branch from Bridgeport. It had formerly been operated by the Philadelphia, Germantown and Norristown Railroad.
A new Philadelphia terminal opened on December 24, 1859, at Broad and Callowhill Streets. North of the old one at Cherry Street. The Reading and Columbia Railroad. Was chartered in 1857 to build from Reading southwest to Columbia.
It opened in 1864, using the Lebanon Valley Railroad. The Reading leased it in 1870. The early Philadelphia and Reading Railroad named all of their locomotives with names such as Winona or Jefferson , as did most American railroads. Precedent, but in December 1871 the P&R replaced all the names with numbers.A short branch to quarries. Also that year, the Reading leased the Pickering Valley Railroad.
A branch running west from Phoenixville. In 1873, the P&R extended its reach southward by leasing 10.2 miles of track from the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad.
Dubbed the Philadelphia & Chester Branch, the line extended from the Gray's Ferry Bridge. In West Philadelphia to Ridley Creek in Ridley Junction. The segment included 4.9 miles of double track and 16.7 miles of single track, including sidings and turnouts. The segment was part of the original 1838 line of the PW&B, which in 1872 opened a new stretch of track further inland to serve more populated areas and reduce flooding. For a term of 999 years with the stipulation that no passenger trains would use it.
The Reading dubbed the line, along with some connecting track, its Philadelphia and Chester Branch. Southbound trains reached it via the Junction Railroad. Jointly controlled by PW&B, Reading, and PRR, and continued on to the connecting Chester and Delaware River Railroad. During 1875, four members of the Camden and Atlantic Railroad.
Board of directors resigned to build a second railroad from Camden, New Jersey. Led by Samual Richards, an officer of the C&A. For 24 years, they established the Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railway. (P&AC) on March 24, 1876.
A 3-foot-6-inch narrow gauge was selected because it would lower track laying and operating costs. Work began in April 1877, and the track work was completed in a remarkable 90 days. On July 7, 1877, the final spike was driven and the 54.67 miles (87.98 km) line was opened in time for summer tourism season.
However, on July 12, 1878, the P&AC Railway slipped into bankruptcy; on September 20, 1883, it was jointly acquired by the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The name was changed to Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railroad on December 4, 1883. The first major task was to convert all track to standard gauge, which was completed on October 5, 1884.
The Philadelphia and Reading Railway acquired full control on December 4, 1885. 1884 map of the Pennsylvania. Reading and Lehigh Valley Railroads. Soon after the Reading jointly acquired the Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railway.With the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The Reading leased the North Pennsylvania Railroad. This gave it a line from Philadelphia north to Bethlehem. And also the valuable Delaware and Bound Brook Railroad, the descendant of the National Railway. Project, providing a route to New York City in direct competition with the Pennsylvania Railroad. S United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company. At the New York end it used the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The Reading Terminal opened in Philadelphia in 1893.
On May 29 the Reading leased the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The Reading eventually bought a majority of the CNJ's stock in 1901. Effective April 1, 1889, the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Consolidated the Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railway. Williamstown & Delaware River Railroad. And the Kaighn's Point Terminal Railroad. In southern New Jersey into The Atlantic City Railroad. Was chartered in 1890 and opened in 1892, running east from a junction from the New York main line near Bound Brook.
To the new port of Port Reading. The Lehigh Valley Railroad was leased on December 1, 1891 under the presidency of Archibald A.
McLeod, but that lease was canceled on August 8, 1893 when the Reading went into receivership. An event associated with the Panic of 1893. The Reading also relinquished control of the Central New England Railroad. Amid the turmoil of the Panic of 1893.Under his leadership, the Reading Company was formed and the P&R was absorbed into it on November 30. Also in 1893, the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad built its most famous structure, Reading Terminal.
Reading Terminal served as the terminus for most of the Reading's Philadelphia bound trains, as well as the headquarters. After the Panic of 1893.
And the failure of Archibald A. S efforts to turn the Reading into a major trunk line.
The Reading was forced to reorganize under suspicions of monopoly. The Reading Company was created to serve as a holding company for the Reading's rail.
Subsidiaries: the Philadelphia and Reading Railway, and the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company. However, in 1906, with the support of the Roosevelt Administration, the Hepburn Act. This required all railroads to disinvest themselves of all mining properties and operations, and so the Reading Company was forced to sell the P&R Coal and Iron Company. Even though moving and mining of coal was its primary business, the P&R eventually became more diversified.Through the development of many on-line industries, averaging almost five industries per mile of main line at one point, and the expanding role of the Reading as a bridge route. This included its important role on the Alphabet Route. With traffic from the Lehigh Valley. Entering the Reading System in Allentown. Traveling over the East Penn Branch to Reading. Where trains then traveled west over the Lebanon Valley Branch to Harrisburg. And then onward over the Philadelphia, Harrisburg and Pittsburg branch, or PH&P to Shippensburg, Pennsylvania. There trains connected with the Western Maryland Railroad. This route became known as the?
Engaged in "the fastest regular service in the world", circa 1907. Even though the Reading was never again to regain its powerful position of the 1870s, it still was a very profitable and important railroad. From the turn of the 20th century to the outbreak of World War I. The Reading was among the most modern and efficient railroads.
In keeping with the standards of much larger railroads, The Reading embarked on many improvement projects which typically were not attempted by smaller railroads. This included triple and quadruple tracking.
Many of its major routes, improving signaling. As well as expanding system capacity. The Reading invested in the construction of new cut-offs, bypasses, and connections. Much like the Pennsylvania Railroad's "Low-grade" lines. The completion of the Reading belt line.In 1902, a 7.2 mile long westerly bypass of downtown Reading, alleviated the heavy rail congestion. A new bridge was constructed over the Schuylkill River. The bridge connected the P&R main line on the west (south) bank of the river with the Manayunk/Norristown Line. On the opposite side, allowing passenger service to Norristown. And a bypass of the old main line, known as the West Side Fright line.
The main thoroughfare into Reading Terminal? Route was replaced by an elevated quadruple track route that offered greater capacity and safety. In 1901, the Reading gained a controlling interest in the Central Railroad of New Jersey. Allowing the Reading to offer seamless, one-seat rides from Reading Terminal. To the CNJ's Jersey City.
By way of Bound Brook. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
Was also looking for access to the New York market, and in 1903 the B&O gained control over the Reading and thus ensured its trains track rights over the Reading and CNJ to Jersey City. To the north, the New York Short Line.
Was completed in 1906, and was a cut-off for New York Bound through freights and the B&Os. A 1914 picture of Reading Class M1sa showing the cab behind the wide Wootten Firebox, a first for the Reading. In 1900, the Reading Shops. Began construction along the Reading yards and North 6th street, facilitating the maintenance and construction of a greater locomotive and rolling stock fleet. The shops were completed four years later, with their imposing brick architecture, they were the largest railroad shops in America, and unlike most railroads, allowed the Reading to make its own engines.
They still stand today in non RR use. Larger steam locomotives were introduced to haul the increasing traffic, including the massive N1 class [2-8-8-2](arthur e newbold-lessor) mallet, and Reading made one M1 class 2-8-2. The G1 class [4-6-2]were passenger locomotives. These classes were an important break of tradition of the Readings motive power fleet.
The M1s were the first Reading locomotives to include a trailing truck, and the first engine with the cab behind the Wootten firebox. Of note the "lessor" Arthur E. Newbold was reported to the ICC in 1919. This means some steam power was owned by a second party and leased to the P&R. The G1s were the first Reading passenger locomotives with three coupled driving wheels.
In 1945-47 the company took 30 class I-10, 2-8-0 locomotives and rebuilt them at the 6th street facility into the modern T-1 class 4-8-4 locomotives at a cost of 6 million dollars. This was a move to offset the fact that EMD FT diesel locomotives (first choice of Reading management) were very hard to obtain, and in order to have faster up to date modern power. The steamers never ran long enough to pay back this major investment, had some major problems, but it did keep men employed. Of note was the Reading?S investment in smaller 4-4-0s. A Reading train departs Reading Terminal, September 1964. The Reading Company did not operate extensive long distance passenger train service, but it did field a number of named trains, most famous of which was the streamlined Crusader. Which connected Philadelphia and Jersey City. Other trains in the fleet included the Harrisburg Special (between Jersey City and Harrisburg), King Coal.
(between Philadelphia and Shamokin, Pennsylvania), North Penn (between Philadelphia and Bethlehem), Queen of the Valley (between Jersey City and Harrisburg), Schuylkill (between Philadelphia and Pottsville), and Wall Street (between Philadelphia and Jersey City). The Reading participated in the joint operation of The Interstate Express. With the Central Railroad Company of New Jersey and the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, with service between Philadelphia and Syracuse, New York. Reading also offered through passenger car service with the Lehigh Valley Railroad via their connection at Bethlehem.
The Reading operated an extensive commuter network out of Reading Terminal in Philadelphia. In the late 1920s most of the suburban system was electrified, the notable exception being the branch to Newtown, Pennsylvania. This line was partly electrified in 1966. You can help by adding to it. After the first World War, and the return of the Reading from government control, the Reading decided to streamline their corporate structure.For twenty years the Reading Company, the holding company created for the P&R and the P&R Coal and Iron Company, only controlled the P&R after the sale of the P&R Coal and Iron Company. To simplify corporate structure the P&R ceased operation in 1924 and the Reading Company took over operating the Railroad.
The period just after World War I may have been the Reading Company's best, with traffic on the Reading at its peacetime. Annual volume was about 15 million tons of Anthracite, 25 million tons of Bituminous Coal.
With a further 30 million tons of industrial traffic. The Reading had taken great strides to wean itself of anthracite dependency but it still relied heavily on coal revenue, and Pennsylvania anthracite production had peaked in 1917 with 99.7 million tons produced. The 1925 "Reading" totals above include all the subsidiaries C&F, G&H, P&CV etc. That were operating roads in 1925 but whose totals were included in Reading's after 1929.None of the totals include Atlantic City RR or PRSL. In the 1920s, the Reading operated a dense network of commuter lines branching off of the Ninth Street Branch. Mostly powered by small 4-4-0s. The Reading Company was forced to file for bankruptcy protection in 1971. Electrified Reading commuter train led by Silverliner II. The railroad also had an extensive commuter operation centered around Philadelphia, the hub of which was Reading Terminal. The following suburban lines were electrified before the onset of the Great Depression. (extended to Warminster in 1974).
The notable exception was the Fox Chase/Newtown branch. With the aid of public funding from the city of Philadelphia, the line was electrified as far as Fox Chase. (the last station within city limits) in September 1966. Electrification was to be completed through to Newtown.In the 1970s, but government subsidies were not readily available, leaving the Fox Chase-Newtown section as the lone non-electrified suburban commuter route on the Reading system. Passenger service between Fox Chase and Newtown was terminated on January 14, 1983 under the auspices of SEPTA.
To further complicate matters, the Reading was forced to continue paying its debts to the Penn Central Railroad. However, Penn Central (also in bankruptcy at the time) was not required to pay its debts to the Reading Company.
(Conrail), leaving it with 650 real estate. Assets, some coal properties, and 52 abandoned rights-of-way. As of 1999, most former Reading lines are now part of Norfolk Southern Railway. (NS), as a result of the Conrail split between NS and CSX Transportation.
In the late 1980s a Los Angeles. Lawyer named James Cotter gained control of the corporation through his holding company. The Craig Corporation, and liquidated the rest of its assets to finance his cinema.In 1996, Cotter reorganized the company as Reading Entertainment. The Craig Corporation merged in 2001 with Citadel Holding Corporation, another Cotter company, and became Reading International, Inc. RDI still ownes 317 acres of former railroad property, mostly in upper Pennsylvania, along with the Reading Railroad publicity files of approximately 300-600 lin. Most of Reading Entertainment's operations are in Australia. Under the Reading Cinemas trade name. Its logo depicts a railroad transforming into a filmstrip to tell the story of the history of the brand.
Decided to sell 15 of the 29 theaters operated by Pacific Theatres Exhibition Corp. Six theaters, comprising 83 screens, in San Diego. California, operated as Pacific Theatres have been converted to the Reading Cinema brand name. In October 2008, Reading Entertainment and Screenvision. Entered into a long-term contract to provide digital, satellite-based pre show to all Reading Cinemas locations in the United States.Replacing traditional slide show presentation, the digital preshow by Screenvision would cover advertisements from television shows such as: E! Upcoming films, and business advertisements such as: Verizon Wireless. All Reading Cinemas locations in the United States officially began the digital preshow December 2008. Reading Cinemas began installing digital projection in 4 of its theatres in the United States. These projectors are also capable of showing Digital.
Per Reading's 2009 10-K filing: By mid-year (2010), it anticipates Reading will have 3D projectors in not less than 28 out of the 53 cinema locations that it either wholly owns or consolidates. The presidents of the Reading were. 1882 (elected when Gowen's leadership was contested). The item "PHILADELPHIA & READING RAILROAD LANTERN A&W CO. THE ADAMS P & R.1886" is in sale since Tuesday, December 3, 2019. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Railroadiana & Trains\Hardware\Lanterns & Lamps". The seller is "railcarhobbies" and is located in Warsaw, Missouri.
This item can be shipped worldwide.